Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Giant Pokemon Poster

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
faroresdragn
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Giant Pokemon Poster

Post by faroresdragn »

Ok, so this is the thread I am going to use for this gigantic project I have been dreaming of doing since I was a kid. When I first realized on my own that video game sprites could be easily transferred to canvas, my immediate thought was to recreate the pokemon poster I had on my wall.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Im going to post here what I have so far pattern wise (which took a really long time to piece together in KG chart one sprite at a time)
Pokemon Poster GCEA.jpg
this thing is going to be gigantic when done, and i will probably have to special order some piece of cloth, and Im at 266 DMC colors right now because I didnt want to compromise, so I dont reccommend this haha.

Im really posting here for artistic advice.

I know the original i am trying to emulate has a white background, but Im not sure if it is worth my time to fill the whole thing with white (may be something like 25k stitches of just white) or if i should just leave the canvas empty or use some other color to fill it or what.

Also I really like the pokemon logo I have up top, which was made for me years ago by a user here (stitchingmama). but now looking at the original i think it may be way too big and better if it was much smaller. I really dont know how to do something like that in KG.

And if I keep the logo large like this Im torn on whether I should do something with those two big pieces of negative space on each side, or just leave them.

Since this is going to take so long and is such an important thing to me, I just want it to be as good as it can be so any and all suggestions are appreciated.

I attached the KG chart file in case anyone wants to look at it, but the pdf is actually too large for me to attach haha
Attachments
Pokemon Poster GCEA.sth
(203.02 KiB) Downloaded 338 times

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Giant Pokemon Poster

Post by blackmageheart »

Awesome project, and I also still have that poster somewhere!

Regarding the size - you can buy aida/fabric by the meter (or yard if you're in the US) and depending on how wide the finished product will be this might be your best option! I can't open the sth (I never bothered upgrading my KG lol) so could you give me an idea of the size, then I can tell you if it's worth buying a HUGE bit of aida :D
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

faroresdragn
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by faroresdragn »

Iirc, it's about 375x681 stitches ATM, but like I said I'm considering making the Pokemon logo a but smaller which will reduce the height. Either going to do it in 18 or 22ct. 22 makes more sense size wise, but I also want to stitch in each monsters name under them, and that will be hard enough to read on 18, maybe impossible in 22.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Oh, at that size you should definitely buy by the metre/yard. 681 is about 31" or 78cm on 22ct and 38" or 94cm on 18ct (I think, my conversions may be off a bit!) - but generally when you buy more than one m/y they come as one piece of material.
Names would be small but not unreadable. I work with 18 and 22ct a LOT and while the stitches are small they're also not so small that you couldn't do a bit of text! My worry would be that some pokemon have very short names and some have looooong names and it might look a little odd if they aren't all aligned well, but that's just me and my weird fixations on things like that :)

Honestly I can't wait to see you start this, because it was a project I considered doing about 15 years ago and never bothered (I got a bit burned out on pokemon stitching, haha)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

faroresdragn
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by faroresdragn »

They didn't show up on the jpeg but on the pattern I have the names under each Pokemon and their number. Do you have any recommendations on how to write them I was just going to wing it with one thread backstitching.

Now that I'm getting closer to completion I think I'm gonna need to find someone to size that Pokemon logo down. Will look more like the poster, and maybe save me 20-30k stitches in the process haha.

Also neat to hear you had the same project in mind. I will for sure post progress on this regularly once I get it started.

faroresdragn
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by faroresdragn »

As Im getting closer to finishing the pattern (though it will be a little while before i actually start on this), Im wondering if I need to add some kind of border to the thing. I thought of some kind of patterned border made of red, blue, and yellow, or there is the option of trying to recreate the yellow and blue border of the original poster.

Of course adding any kind of border would make the project, which will already be huge, even bigger, and im not sure it needs it. I really cant decide if the thing looks too plain with just the monsters and the logo on plain white, or that simplicity is a good aspect of it. Thoughts anyone?

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Re: the lettering, I think one strand backstitching *should* be ok.

As for border, I would probably stitch the pokemon and the logo first and then see if you feel like it needs one. Sometimes it takes seeing the thing stitched to know if it needs that extra bit of something, you know? :)

faroresdragn
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by faroresdragn »

Thats a good point. I guess ill just leave myself some room I can cut off if i feel like i dont need it

faroresdragn
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by faroresdragn »

So after a bunch of tinkering, here is what I have so far (attatched)

I am a little bit worried that the somewhat blurry "Gotta catch 'em all!" logo will look bad or clash with the rest of the poster which is pixel clean sprites from the game, but it really wouldnt look right as a poster without it, and if it looks bad i can just cut it out.

I do think I may need to find something (some kind of pokeball design maybe?) to put in the negative space on either side of the pokemon logo, but like again, thatll be a judgement call based on how it starts to look IRL.

I broke this up into 4 charts because the high number of colors (245 DMC) made the PDF charts unusual. cutting it up so there was only like 120ish colors on each pattern helped KG to deal with it.

Like I said Ill also be backstitching names and numbers under each pokemon, but I may have to wing it based on how it looks on the high count fabric I use, so I left it blank on the pattern.

I see this project taking me years to actually finish, but working on it steadily, it will be great to see this dream project come true.
Attachments
Logo and 1-30.pdf
(862.92 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
111-150.pdf
(757.16 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
71-110.pdf
(830.11 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
31-70.pdf
(747.73 KiB) Downloaded 326 times

rwright20
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by rwright20 »

This is a pattern I've wanted to tackle trying to make for a while now due to also having had the poster on my wall! Thank you for sharing and your hard work to make it
Current projects:

Epic Pokemon Gen I extended
Portal patterns

Future projects:

Too many...

Super Mario Bros 3 worlds
A few purchased patterns