Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

skater43 stitches non-Zelda things

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: skater43 stitches non-Zelda things

Post by Firehawke »

These look SO cool...you are super talented!!!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. :) As I've said, I like stitching NES games, because there's a simple 1 pixel to 1 stitch ratio, so it makes it easy to use screenshots or parts thereof to create patterns. That said, don't think I'll do another full screenshot like I did for AoL, just because of the time involved. I know, some of you guys have spent years on projects and those look awesome, but I'm liking doing the smaller projects/getting to see completed work sooner. I have screenshots of Final Fantasy 1, Dragon Warrior 1 and Castlevania 2 I had planned to do as projects before realizing how much effort full shots take (and those would all take longer than AoL or SMB because they have more stitches/less blank background). Idea was famous/infamous lines from NES games ("I Garland will knock you all down", "a slime draws near", and "what a horrible night for a curse" respectively), so I may combine those into one project/add a few others and just do the text, or a collage of the text boxes or something, rather than the full screenshots. So that's another possible project down the road (soon as I run out of other things to stitch :) ).

No word yet on my frame jobs, though I've been gone this weekend. Fully expect to hear about SMB the next couple of days, to get that in under the deadline so I can submit it to SGDQ. ALttP still needs some assembling, but that's on the back burner temporarily since it doesn't have a deadline.

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Got this back from the framers (they were even nice enough to take a picture, so we have it turned the right way for once :) ). As always, impressed with the work they do. Sent my submission in and just got word a few minutes ago it had been accepted, so tomorrow we'll get it packaged up and mailed off. Looking over the list of already accepted prizes, I'm seeing quite a few craft type prizes. As I've said, I'm not a speedrunner, don't have the skill/inclination, but us crafters can do our part for the cause by creating a prize, get the word out about the marathon, etc.
Attachments
sgdq 2020 framed IMG_4319.JPG

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

It looks fantastic!!! And congrats on your submission being accepted!!!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

Looks great!
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. And for a $20 minimum donation, it could be yours Tuesday night https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/prizes/sgdq2020 :)

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Having wrapped up Link's Awakening, we turn our eyes to our next project: Godzilla. Friend of mine found the pattern on line. I'd hoped to surprise her by stitching it, but she basically asked me to stitch it for her, so there went the surprise. But no reason we can't still do it. Got all my threads, so we are ready to go on this. Goal is to have it stitched and framed by Christmas, but we'll see. Stitching should be no problem (yay no French knots :) ), just a question of will The Artery have a chance to frame it in time. Usually up her way in February, so I miss Christmas, I'll still have a chance to get it to her around that time. Assuming, of course, some of this virus stuff clears up and and we can travel and such by then. Rules and regulations change almost daily, so who knows what things'll be like four months from now. But, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Meanwhile, we've got to get this stitched. :) Looking forward to doing this project and while very different from my recent Zelda/video game ones, should be fun to do (and they've made several Godzilla games, so it's relevant to this board :) ).
Attachments
GodzillaColorPattern.pdf
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 317 times

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

What a fun looking pattern...hope you have a blast!

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. :) Yeah, enjoyed LA, even though parts were frustrating/took more focus, but this is definitely faster/easier.

And here's our first WIP picture. As we can see, things are progressing. I started with the text in the lower left corner, just because that was the easiest spot to measure and calculate a good starting point. From there, I just went up the words to get to the first house, and am currently working on all the black in Godzilla himself. As you can see, there's not a solid outline to him or one main color, but the black looked the best at forming something a skeleton to work around, so we're going with that (as you can see, it doesn't look much like him yet, but the left side is his back/spikes, off to the right we have one of his arms, then his legs down by the house. His tail is further to the bottom right and we aren't there yet). I have the hoop in such a place as to do most of Godzilla, plus I think the second house, or most of it, so we'll finish filling this hoop before moving it to do his head, tail, other houses, rest of the text. A little tricky to keep track of where I am because the colors are jumping around so much, but nothing too bad, and this is definitely going faster/easier than the music in LA. Too early guess, I'm saying mid-November for finishing up, but that's just a guess. Obviously, once I get more of Godzilla himself down (which is a good 70-75% of the picture), we'll have a better idea of the length. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy the journey. :)
Attachments
godzilla wip 10-8-20 IMG_20201008_131057698.jpg

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

As you can see, things are progressing nicely. In fact, I've moved up my tentative finish date to the end of the month. Today's work was finishing off his spines, so that completes his body. I figure I spend the next 3 or 4 days doing his head and the helicopter, another couple of days on his tail, that'll have him completely done by the end of this week. Then next week would be the rest of the text and the other couple of houses. I think that's pretty doable, but we'll see. Ideally, because The Artery is closed Sundays and Mondays, I'd want to finish by the 31st/Saturday to get it in to them, rather than waiting for the following Tuesday, so that may require a little extra time/effort next week, but I don't think so. Having finished the body with its various shades of green and grey, I see this project as in between one of my typical ones and the music of Link's Awakening. On the one hand, because the colors are scattered/not in a set pattern, I do have to pay attention to where I am and where I'm going. So this isn't mindless bricks or other pattern like some of my other pictures. On the other hand, I'm not doing tiny stitches or backstitching or the like, so I don't have to focus quite as much as I did for that. So easy stitching, but mostly random colors, so a bit of a challenge, but not frustratingly so.
Attachments
godzilla wip 10-18-20 IMG_20201018_101013554.jpg