Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

skater43 stitches non-Zelda things

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Re: skater43 stitches non-Zelda things

Post by skater43 »

She's a pretty sharp cookie, she noticed fairly quickly. And absolutely loved it, sharing pictures of it with friends and such.

And with other projects complete, we can return our attention back to Zelda. See other thread, but we're about three weeks in on Twilight Princess, making progress, though we've got several months left to go.

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Took longer than expected (supply issue, it happens), but got my Castlevania picture back from The Artery. Gaming shop is closed Sundays and Mondays, so I'll have to wait until Tuesday to drop it off, but looking forward to doing so and seeing where this goes as far as potential extra income or guy gets a nice piece to hang on his wall or ends up going to GDQ, we shall see.
Attachments
castlevania framed IMG_20211010_093714406.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

what a great framing job! Good luck with taking it over!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Gaming shop was closed yesterday, but just got back from dropping it off. Been a few changes at the store since I was last there, but got the back set up for people to play games, shelves look full, looks like things are going well. So, we'll see if the piece sells or this leads to anything. Had one other person's art up, so is keeping with giving local artists the opportunity to share their stuff. We're asking $500 for mine and we'll see. I still own the piece, it's on loan so to speak, so if it doesn't sell, I can take it back whenever, hang on my own wall, donate to GDQ, whatever. Got a plan for AGDQ 2022 already that I'll start work on the first of November to get that done and turned in to The Artery so they have time to frame it, but maybe I could donate this to SGDQ next summer if it still hasn't found an owner. Guy came into the shop while I was there just to hang out/chat with the owner and he liked my picture, but it's not in his budget and I think we'll see a lot of that, but who knows. Anyone here live near the Central Coast in California? Shop is right on Traffic Way in Atascadero, few doors down from The Artery and El Paseo Plaza. For the non-locals, here's the website http://www.gordonsgoodgames.com/ Picture of my picture prolly won't be on the main webpage, but might show up in the background of some of the pictures posted on Facebook or Instagram.

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

As noted in my Zelda thread, a quick project here, so next picture you'll get will be the completed project. As you can see, if we've finished Mr. X and are working in on the text. If I can do about 4 letters a day, I should be able to finish on Saturday, which is my goal, just to get it in (otherwise, I have to wait until next Tuesday). Doing 3-4 a day so far, so may have to do a little extra work the end of the week just to get it done, but nothing too bad. And, it looks like too much effort to finish on Saturday, we can take those couple of extra days; we're not that pressed for time. But things are going well so far. Did make one little mistake with the text and chose to alter the pattern slightly to match it rather than fix it. And if you can tell the difference between what I stitched and the original screenshot, well, keep it to yourself. :) Light purple on Mr. X floating chair got washed out some in the picture, but in the actual project I think there's enough distinction with the white next to it. One other note I learned/noticed this week. Normally, in all projects prior to Twilight Princess, I used two strands of thread in my stitching. Seemed to work well, so saw no reason to change. Twilight Princess pattern called for using three strands. Following the pattern, so went with it. Start stitching this, get to Wednesday or Thursday and realize I'm doing three strands here, too, just out of habit. Doesn't hurt anything, suppose it fills things in more, but something that occurred to me. I am noticing it's a bit harder here doing three strands in 18 count, whereas Twilight Princess is only 14, but it's not that big a deal. So, we'll wrap this up the end of this week/start of next and then get to working on finishing the lower left corner of Twilight Princess.
Attachments
agdq 2022 mm6 wip 11-7-21 IMG_20211107_091624794.jpg

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

As noted earlier, nice quick easy project, so we've finished it already. Made a mistake this morning that I had to fix, so it took a little longer to finish than expected, but not much longer. And I still had plenty of time to drop it off at The Artery today. So, it's in their capable hands and we await the final product. Marathon is January 9-16 and while I didn't see a deadline for prizes, in year's past it's been about the end of December. So I figure The Artery will have about 5 weeks or so to get it done, which should give them plenty of time even if there's issues getting the frame or other stuff that comes up on occasion. Simple project, but I like how it turned out. MM6 isn't being run at AGDQ 2022, but other Mega Man games are, and this is a well known typo (usually read out loud as fail d), so it'll be well received/recognized.

And tomorrow, we return to Twilight Princess. I'll play around with hoop placement, but as I said before the break, my hope is to be able to finish the lower left corner without having to move the hoop again, and am targeting the end of the year to finish the corner. We'll then shift to the right and Febrauaryish likely, decide how we'll proceed from there. Lot of work still to do, but we're getting there, little bit at a time. And don't anticipate any other projects coming up before April or so when we'll put something together for next year's summer marathon, so we should be able to make some real good progress the next few months.
Attachments
agdq 2022 mm6 done 11-13-21 IMG_20211113_113057707.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Woot! Congrats on the finish...it looks great!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. :) Quick and simple, which is what I was going for, but I think it will be well received.

Since I forgot to include them in my last post, here's the colors used for anyone else who might want to stitch this (all are DMC):
white text, beard of Mr. X - BLANC
skin tone of Mr. X - 543
light purple of Mr. X's floating chair - 211
dark purple of Mr. X's floating chair - 3837

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Just picked up the final product from The Artery. Looking good, and they were nice enough to include a picture, so Mom and I didn't have to mess with lighting/reflections/other fun stuff that comes with taking a picture of something in a frame/behind glass. Already filled out the submission form for GDQ, so just awaiting word at this point that it's accepted. More than likely, I'll wait until Monday to mail it, just to avoid the last minute Christmas mailing this week. But pleased with the result and I think it'll be well received. As I've said, it's a well known typo and a fan favorite. You can see it highlighted at SGDQ 2017 here at about the 46:10 mark https://youtu.be/9giqz92SqNU?t=2760

Meanwhile, Twilight Princess is coming along. Fully expect to finish the current hoop by the end of the year (lot of solid black, so that'll go quickly), so we'll decide which direction we go from there (still leaning towards up, but right is still a possibility). Long ways to go still, but we'll be able to get at least a couple/few more months of work done before we start thinking about our SGDQ 2022 prize submission.
Attachments
agdq 2022 mm6 framed IMG_8784.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

What a great framing job...perfect for your fantastic stitching!