Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

skater43 stitches non-Zelda things

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Re: skater43 stitches non-Zelda things

Post by skater43 »

Progress is being made. And in fact, we can say the end is in sight as the black on the right side is the right border. So that's as far over as we'll need to go. Still a lot to do and we have been doing a little extra work here and there, especially on my days off, but we're still having fun. Finished most of the black today, so we at least have an idea of where the rest of the piping will go. Prolly tomorrow we'll color in Mega Man, just to add a bit more color to this and so we can have another aspect of the picture completed. Hoping to finish off this hoop next weekend, so next week will just be the upper part of the pipes, the metool (the little hard hat looking guy) and the text. Finishing by the 15th is definitely doable without having to go all out, I feel, but we'll see how this week goes. Only real concern at this point is I've used a lot more of the tan for the pipes than I expected, so will more than likely have to run out and grab another skein. Not a big deal, unless it happens to be out of stock in the nearby Michael's and I have to broaden my search. Off Tuesday, so I plan to run there just to see, figuring if I need it, I'll have it and if I don't need it, I'll have it for some future project. And if they don't have the color, then we start making other plans. As I said, might have enough to finish, but want to be a little proactive on this, just in case.
Attachments
sgdq 2021 wip 5-2-21 IMG_20210502_095102378.jpg

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Finished it yesterday and dropped it off at The Artery this afternoon. We made it in time of my deadline, though this past week, I was mostly doing two hour shifts instead of the usual one. And actually, I stitched for prolly close to four hours total yesterday, just to finish it up. Knew I'd be at Mom's today, so perfect chance to get a picture of the final project, then drop it off to be framed. Looks like I started this about April 4, so just about 5 weeks total, though as I said, we weren't doing just an hour a day some days. So I'd say maybe about 50 hours total spent stitching it. Which is a bit more than I originally expected, but as I found, while not a large picture, there was quite a bit that had to be stitched/not a lot of blank spots within the pipes. But, we were able to get it done and off to be framed in hopefully plenty of time. Prize deadline is the end of June, so they've got about 5, 6 weeks to do it. And they appreciate having that time as they've had a bit of issue with some frames/lumber, so they may need that extra time. Hopefully, things go smoothly, they get the supplies they need, no mess, no fuss, but this is why I wanted to get it done early. So, we'll see.

Meantime, you'll note the other attachment and are prolly saying "hey, that looks familiar". As well it should, as the design for a picture I stitched for SGDQ 2019. Got word from Games Done Quick a couple of days ago that unfortunately, the person who won it, never got it. Lost in the GDQ warehouse, lost in the mail (they got it from me, was featured on camera and all, so I'm in the clear), who knows. But, they were asking if I was willing to redo it. Rather small picture (58 pixels/stitches by 39, as opposed to the 144x88 of the Mega Man 2 picture I just did), figure I can bust it out in a couple of weeks. Last time, Mom and I framed it. This time, we'll let The Artery take it (and I mentioned all this when dropping off today's project). So the prize winner will actually get a bit of an upgrade. I didn't make a note last time of the exact colors I used, but I should have all the same ones and can figure out what works and such (along those lines, see the list below for the colors used for Mega Man in case anyone else wishes to stitch this). So, we'll get that underway tomorrow. Prize winner has been very cool and understanding considering it's been a couple of years, but no need to make him waiting any longer than needed. And GDQ did say they'd reimburse me for this, so we're calling this my second commission (coincidentally, when I was dropping off today's project, the brother I stitched the Donkey Kong picture for last year as my first commission happened to stop by. He saw this project and correctly identified the game [impressive considering there were 6 NES Mega Man games and Mega Man/the graphics really didn't vary much between them]). So, personal project will be put on hold for a bit longer, but first of June or so, we should be able to get back to it.

SGDQ 2021 prize/Mega Man 2 picture color list (all DMC):

BLANC for the text and other bits of Mega Man and other bits here and there
310 shadows of pipes, outlines
543 little bit of Mega Man's face
611 the tan/main parts of the pipes
666 for Mega Man's outfit
746 the yellow interior bits of the pipes
977 the metool and orange ball
Attachments
sgdq 2021 done 5-13-21 IMG_20210513_114640738.jpg
kirby sword wip.png
kirby sword wip.png (1.58 KiB) Viewed 5103 times

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Bummer about having to restitch the Kirby! Good luck!!!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Well, the real bummer is the prize winner never got the original. I mean, yeah, I'd rather be spending these couple of weeks getting back to my personal project, get that going again. But redoing Kirby isn't a big deal. Still enjoy the work, it's not going to take very long to do (I've already done most of the lines across the bottom, the sword enemy and the swords. Did the dark pink of Kirby today and some of the light pink. So we'll finish him tomorrow without much trouble, the rest of the week will be finishing the lines on the bottom, white next to Kirby, the odds and ends, then next week will be all the leaves and that's it) and since it'll be professionally framed, the person will be getting a better product.

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

As noted yesterday in my Zelda thread, both projects The Artery was working on are complete, so just picked those up. We have a similar theme/pattern to what works for each project I give them, but each one's a little different (like going with the white frame for Kirby, which is what Mom and I did for the original). But they always come out looking great. Just filled out the prize submission form for Mega Man, so will just be waiting for confirmation of that to ship it off. And will contact them about getting my Kirby picture to the prize winner, either shipping it direct, or shipping it to GDQ and then they send it along or what the plan is.
Attachments
sgdq 2021 framed 6-18-21.jpg
Kirby 2021 framed.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

They look fantastic!!!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. :) Yeah, I was again pleased with how they turned out as well.

SGDQ starts Sunday and my Mega Man picture is up and listed with the rest of the prizes https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/prizes/35 As I say, I'm not a speedrunner, don't have the skills or inclination to be one, but donate a prize, spread the word about the event, those I can do. So I am. :)

Just the bottom text to go in my personal project. 54 letters and since I doubt I'll be doing 8 letters a day, it'll take a bit longer than the week I thought it might, but we'll still finish the end of next week or so/mid-July.

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

They look really good :)
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. :) I like how they came out myself. As a shameless plug, I'll include this link https://youtu.be/WLq4NWzbnNM?list=PLz8Y ... ouR&t=4905 where my Mega Man picture was featured/highlighted during the event. Still awaiting the address to send Kirby.

Before getting back to my project of stitching something for every Zelda game I've beaten, I busted out the attached picture for Mom's birthday. Isn't until the first of September, but wanted to get it done and into the framers to give them plenty of time and not be rushed (dropped it off yesterday). The idea of the few words from the verse I got from a local pastor who said his daughter did something similar. I added the bird so that it would be more of a picture rather than just a few words of text. Bird pattern was taken from https://www.etsy.com/listing/499307683/ ... _active_20 I wanted something that we have here in the area, that Mom might see as she was looking out the window. Hence choosing the scrub jay. My hope is to sneak over to her house one day once it's framed and hang it so that she'll just find it, but we'll see how that shakes out. Next up for our Zelda project, though, is Twilight Princess and I'm looking forward to this one. Think it'll be a bit more challenging than some of my other projects, but I think I'm up to it.
Attachments
look at birds done 7-16-21 IMG_5606.JPG

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Fun!!!! She'll LOVE it!!!