Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

AoL WIP

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

AoL WIP

Post by skater43 »

Still waiting for my OoT pic to come back from the framers (they do good work, and only a block from where I live, but it usually takes a few weeks), but in the meantime, we've started work on my next massive project. Screenshot from Zelda 2. It was requested I post some WIP pictures of future projects, so here's where we currently are (sorry you'll either have to turn your head or monitor 90 degrees, camera doesn't always like to rotate itself when taking the picture). I started stitching the line across the bottom, got about a third of the way done and realized there was no way I was going to be able to keep track of when I'd done 224 stitches. And while I could measure and math and such, because this is a screenshot, I wanted it to be the actual 256x224. So, I decided to go around the edge, get me a border/things easier to count, then we'll fill in the rest. Unfortunately, I did slightly miscount the lines on the bottom, so the final project will actually have an extra line, so not 100% authentic/accurate, but that's not a huge deal. All the bricks and such up the side/along the top are all correct. Current rate, I expect to finish the bricks on the left side around the end of the month/start of April. Then I'll either move to the right side for those red bricks, or start working on some of the ones across the top/middle. Overall, I expect it'll be at least a year until I'm done, but I enjoy working on it a little each day, another row or column, just chipping away. But I can post updates/pics here once a month or so, just so you guys can see how things are progressing.
Attachments
zelda2aol-33.png
zelda2aol-33.png (3 KiB) Viewed 16698 times
aol wip IMG_20190311_131230731.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: AoL WIP

Post by Firehawke »

It will be fun watching this develop...happy stitching! And yay that the framer is so close!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

As long as I was borrowing the phone/camera to take a picture of my completed OoT picture, I snapped an update for this project as well. As you can see, we've finished the red bricks on the left side of the picture and started in on the right side. Finished the left side a little sooner than expected, but figure the right side's prolly going to take me most of April. But, we do this because we enjoy it, not because we want to rush through it just to finish it. After the red bricks, I'll prolly start knocking out some of the pinkish bricks in the middle because that'll prolly take a couple of months+, then we'll see about some of the more interesting stuff like Link, Error, the windows, stats, etc.
Attachments
aol wip 2 IMG_20190311_131230731.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Good luck with all of the red stitches...love how they pop off the aida!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Been a while, but finished the red bricks, so wanted to give an update (and we got the picture aligned the right way this time :) ). Part of the delay was I took a couple of weeks to do the attached Kirby picture as a prize submission for SGDQ (submitted it a couple of weeks ago, but haven't heard back yet. No reason for it not to be accepted, so I may have to follow up). So, we've finished the red bricks on the sides and now get to do pink bricks for weeks. :) What I'm trying though, that may save a little time, is doing bricks at a time/filling the hoop before moving it basically, rather than straight rows or columns. Over the course of all the bricks, not moving the hoop as much could add up to a lot of time saved. Anyway, giving that a whirl. Obviously, these bricks are going to take at least a couple of months to finish, but once they're done, I'll have the bulk of the tedious work out of the way and can start going after the text, Link, Error, etc., some of the more interesting aspects of the picture. Do have the lines across the bottom I've dabbled in some. Figure one line every three days, 10 lines, I'll be spending about a month doing those. We'll see how the pink bricks go, but I think I should be able to finish the whole thing by the end of the year. But it's all about enjoying the process and not rushing for a deadline, so we'll see.
Attachments
aol wip IMG_20190522_113714775.jpg
kirby sword 2 IMG_20190426_102930577_HDR.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

That Kirby looks so cool! Congrats on the great progress!

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thanks, Firehawke. Just got word my Kirby picture was accepted as a prize, so just dropped it off at the Post Office to send back to them. Looking over the accepted prizes, I see a few other cross stitch projects, so that's cool to see. Chipping away at the pink bricks on my AoL project, though it's on hold currently so I can bust out a picture for a co-worker who's leaving soon. Another week or so I should have it done, then we can get back to Link.

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Back to the picture being sideways, but we can see the next section is done. This was delayed a couple of weeks while I worked on another (non-gaming) project for a co-worker that'll be leaving soon (no final date yet, but I wanted to have the project done and ready for when they did leave), but the top bricks are done. As you can see, we've also started the middle bricks. These'll be the bulk of the project, so once I finish these in a couple/few months, it'll be mostly fun/interesting stuff: text, windows, Link and Error. Do have the lines on the bottom which I may do next just to get all the tedious stuff out of the way (although the middle bricks are going to be a little interesting and I will have to keep track of my place to go around where the windows and Link and such are going to be) and then finish up the rest. Still a ways to go, but we're definitely seeing progress (prolly moreso for you folks since you're getting the updates every couple of months/once another section is done, whereas I'm looking at it daily). But this is definitely going to be my last full sized NES screenshot for a while. :)
Attachments
aol wip 7-19-19 IMG_20190719_111105165.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

The bricks are looking great!

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Two months later the bricks are done! Bricks on the sides, bricks in the middle, all the bricks are done. :) Actually finished them Monday but didn't have a chance to get an updated picture until tonight, so we can see I've started in on the lines across the bottom. This is my next big part to do and will just about be the last of the real tedious stuff. Like the bricks, though, I'm filling the hoop rather than just go straight lines. Means moving the hoop much less which will save quite a bit of time. I was a little concerned if things might show through or the back not look as clean, but those fears were unfounded. So, we're going up and down (which is actually right and left), filling things in, then moving on down and doing the next section. Figure the lines will take me until about mid-October to finish, 3-4 weeks or so. Then we get to do the text, Link (speaking of which, I think the silhouette of Link formed by the bricks looks pretty cool. Obviously I'm going to actually stitch him, but it made think about maybe doing some sort of a Shadow Link project down the road), Error, the table, the windows, some of the more interesting things. There's still quite a bit to do, so not sure I'll finish by the end of the year, that's a tentative goal, but the object is to have fun and do a good job rather than try to meet some arbitrary deadline (since this is a project for me/going on my wall, so doesn't have to be done by a certain date). So we'll see. Got Awesome Games Done Quick 2020 coming up in January and I've got a couple of ideas for stuff to stitch for that, so I'll set this project aside for a couple of weeks to bust a prize out, but in the meantime, we'll keep stitching away.
Attachments
aol wip 9-19-19 IMG_20190919_212138142.jpg