Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Negative space yea or nay?

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
Malfore
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Negative space yea or nay?

Post by Malfore »

Did the one a while ago... The empty space around the subjects, you guys think it's a good style or just looks lazy?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (4.39 MiB) Viewed 3306 times

out2lunch
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Re: Negative space yea or nay?

Post by out2lunch »

I would say that you should definitely fill in the black around the guy in the foreground, I think that would make him pop. But maybe not fill in the monster thing in the back? That could create a fading-in-from-the-background thing.
Current Project: Super Metroid villain #3: Crocomire

Lalina
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Lalina »

Personally, I like to fill all the spaces because I like having a whole image be the same texture. Buuut I will say that your piece already looks quite good. It is a matter of taste. Here is a sampler I made for a workshop. One of the circles is filled in with B5200 while two of them were left empty. The F and the K were also left empty. All of the letters looked fine, but some people preferred one over the other.
afk con sampler
afk con sampler
afk con sampler small.png (955.67 KiB) Viewed 3282 times
Current Projects:
- Game of Thrones/Mario World Mash-up (cross-stitch)

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

out2lunch wrote:I would say that you should definitely fill in the black around the guy in the foreground, I think that would make him pop. But maybe not fill in the monster thing in the back? That could create a fading-in-from-the-background thing.
Firstly, that is not a guy in the foreground! That is Alis Landale, the heroine of Algo and protagonist of Phantasy Star I - as seen in Phantasy Star IV. :D
But I do think you are right about filling in the black. I'm not sure if it's because the picture makes the aida look not very black, but Alis and Dark Falz don't really pop much. Now that I look at it more, I'm thinking the light isn't helping because I remember this picture from the game being all shades of blue!

OK, Malfore - I guess the real question is are YOU happy with it? :)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Malfore
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by Malfore »

Lol wow know your mega drive games blackmage. I do like this style myself was just wondering about other opinions. The lighting does mislead a bit ( there is ONLY blue and black shades used). When I made it I thought it would allow for a layering effect, like Dark Falz emerging from the blackness. I think I'll fill in a boundary area around Alis to make her stand out more though. Thanks for the input guys!

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Malfore wrote:Lol wow know your mega drive games blackmage.
Phantasy Star is one of my most favourite things ever. My daughter's middle name is Alis ;)
Malfore wrote: The lighting does mislead a bit ( there is ONLY blue and black shades used).
Yes, I thought the lighting was doing it! Black aida can be a pain to photograph, though.

Don't forget to post what you do to it, because I'd love to see how it looks!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...