Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

AvFan's Quilts and other Crafty Projects

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
AvFan4vr
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

AvFan's Quilts and other Crafty Projects

Post by AvFan4vr »

I've been a lurker here for quite a while and finally decided to join. You guys are such an inspiration with all your projects that it made me want to join and hopefully inspire others!

These are the video game quilts that I've done... I have one other completed but is waiting to get washed yet. Amazing how much more quilty and squeezable they are once they've been washed!

The Zelda quilt was the first video game quilt I did... I'd definitely recommend on your first video game quilt being a small quilt. This one is queen sized... which is great, but a little daunting for a first video game quilt.

I think I made two Mario pillows before I made this baby sized Sonic quilt. I loved making the Sonic quilt. I think I could whip that up in a day! See, start with a small quilt.

This bugger took forever. I think I have about sixty hours of piecing and quilting to this dude. My husband helped me write the pattern for my Kirby quilt (need to get photos of that one). As he was helping me he said, "You know, I could probably write a program that would figure out how much fabric you need." And he did and that program is awesome and is a huge time saver! I used that program to write the patterns (figure the material needed) for this quilt. It's much more accurate than I was for the Zelda quilt!
I actually designed a pretty thorough Mario 3 quilt pattern book and submitted it to Nintendo but unfortunately there was no interest. Ah well, I'll just submit it again sometime. Never know!
Last edited by AvFan4vr on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Re: AvFan's Quilts

Post by TigerLily »

These are really cool. I especially love the items one. Can't wait to see more! :D

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

These are SO COOL! :clapping: Thanks for sharing!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Aegidia
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Aegidia »

Wow. Just... wow. These are all so amazing! I'm so glad you joined! I can't even pick a favourite, they're all amazing. I immediately believe they took forever, look at how small those squares are!

AvFan4vr
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by AvFan4vr »

Actually, I "cheat" a bit in my method of construction. I do a strip method rather than the 1" block method. I go row by row and if there are ten pixels of red in a row then I do use a 10.5x1.5" strip rather than doing ten 1.5x1.5 blocks. A lot less frustrating that way- and faster too.
For the Mario quilt when I quilted the characters I stitched in one inch rows to give it a more pixelated look.

Got the Yoshi quilt washed yesterday. I loved quiltoni's egg-hatching Yoshi quilt and had to make one for myself... err... for my baby... but the baby isn't here yet so I can use it for now. Shhh! ;)
This is the first time I did a free motion feather pattern. I wanted something kind of jungle-y and thought this stitch would be a nice touch.
Image Image Image

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

I looked at the finished quilt and went "wait, that's my design", then I saw what you wrote. ;)

I definitely don't mind you recreating my patterns for your baby (well you really, hehe).

It looks really good. I love the fabrics you picked!

Mallybird
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Mallybird »

Well done!

I love the Mario blanket! The variety of different characters/objects really makes this one of a kind!

AvFan4vr
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by AvFan4vr »

Thanks!

I recently finished a 72x86 Bowser quilt. I can't say I'm completely happy with how the colorings went together, but I wouldn't change the background fabric! It's sooooo Bowser. I think what I don't like is that the quilt is a bit darker (I like cheery quilts). I think I should have done the black and orange with fabric with a less noticeable pattern... but since the quilt isn't for me it doesn't matter how well I like it. However, I love the fabric on the back. I lucked out at Wal-Mart and found some discounted Mario sheet sets. :D

Image Image

I also recently made a Zelda perler bead coaster set.
Image Image

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Fun quilt and coasters! Very creative!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

AvFan4vr
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Re: AvFan's Quilts and other Crafty Projects

Post by AvFan4vr »

These are some paintings that I did a while back. I have them hanging in the nursery. :) I was inspired by someone who posts here, Brit.knee. Her's are awesome!
Image Image

These two I did on a mixed media paper.

A watercolor pencil

Perler bead plants

I also am doing the first Mario3 world map. This is after two months of work.