Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Using Plastic Canvas

StitchPlease
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Using Plastic Canvas

Post by StitchPlease »

Plastic canvas is a great cross stitching tool to have. It’s very versatile and gives a whole new dimension to your work! If you’re a fan of functional pieces of art, plastic canvas is your new best friend!

You can find plastic canvas the same place you find most other cross stitch supplies. The most common brand is Darice.

Plastic, just like its fabric counterpart, has different counts depending on what sie you want the finished product. I use 10 count, which makes most NES sprites about 2 by 2 inches (5 by 5 cm.). Plastic comes anywhere from 7 to 14 and in many different colors.

Plastic is best used when looking for a sturdy base for a project. The list of items that plastic canvas can be used for is only limited by imagination. It can be a : magnet, keychain, hair clip, jewelry, box, even 3D models!

This walk-through is for making a small sprite out of plastic canvas as a stand-alone item. Once you get the method down, you can try anything!

You can also find all of this information in my video: http://youtu.be/AXMeF0IzMY8

Items Needed
• Plastic canvas, I use 10 count
• Needle, I use Tapestry 18
• Scissors, the smaller the better
• Sharpie or other marker
• Mod-Podge Glue
• Fabri-Tac Glue
• Felt, if applicable
• Finials, ie. Pins, clips, magnets etc.

1) Find a pattern, normally smaller than 50 by 50 pixels. Depending on the count of the canvas, you can go bigger.

2) Trace the sprite onto plastic canvas using the marker.

3) Cut out the sprite. I use an Exacto-Knife; it helps to get into the tighter spots. Depending on the look you’re going for or how comfortable you are with stitching you can leave an extra square of canvas around the design. When you cut out the sprite make sure it looks like this TTTTT, so there’s extra plastic to hold the stitches.

4) Start the outline or main color, normally on most sprites it’s black. You’ll want to wrap the thread around the edges and keep it taunt. Add the other colors, normally from the most used to the least is easiest. Try to use the least amount of thread, restarting can loosen the thread and cause it to unravel.

5) If the sprite was cut without edges, make sure to glue the outside to make sure it won’t unravel. I use Mod-Podge with a foam brush; feel free to go a little heavy as it does dry clear.

6) Finish your sprite as desired.

a. Magnet
i. Glue a magnet to back using Fabric-Tac glue or use a magnet with adhesive backing.

b. Pin
i. Glue a pin to back using Fabric-Tac glue.

c. Hair Clip
i. Glue a Snap Clip or Barrette to back using Fabric-Tac glue.

d. Keychain
i. Glue felt or another backing to the sprite. Figure out the top middle of the sprite and create a small hole. Open the ring to attach the keychain through hole created. Needle-Nosed pliers are very helpful to open and close the ring.

7. Creating a double sided charm

a. Stitch a normal and mirror image of sprite, leaving an extra square around both. Use back-stitching to stitch the sprites together back to back. Finish using the instructions for the keychain, omitting the felt step.

I hope this is a good jumping off point. If you have any questions let me know, I'm always happy to help if I can. Good luck!

La Ptite Bete
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Re: Using Plastic Canvas

Post by La Ptite Bete »

:thumbsup: Thanks Purcell, these are great tips, I've never tried plastic canvas for the moment but I think I won't wait too long...
My blog
Current cross stitch projects :
None.

blackberrybear
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by blackberrybear »

Is modge-podge suppose to feel sticky after it dries?

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by kuja.girl »

blackberrybear wrote:Is modge-podge suppose to feel sticky after it dries?
I've had this happen before, I'm not sure what causes it. It might be a heat/humidity thing. Try putting on another, thin, coat and see if it is still sticky after that.
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |

StitchPlease
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by StitchPlease »

kuja.girl wrote:
I've had this happen before, I'm not sure what causes it. It might be a heat/humidity thing. Try putting on another, thin, coat and see if it is still sticky after that.
It takes a little bit of time to dry completely. It does depend on how heavy a coat you put on it. I only put it on the edges so it tends to dry in about 10 minutes.

blackberrybear
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by blackberrybear »

purcell_a05 wrote:
kuja.girl wrote:
It takes a little bit of time to dry completely. It does depend on how heavy a coat you put on it. I only put it on the edges so it tends to dry in about 10 minutes.
Hmmm, the coating was thin (I think) and I left it alone over night before messing with it again. Maybe I'll go play with it some more. Thanks.

curliewurlie
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by curliewurlie »

I love this idea. I am always making little bits for people and being able to easily turn them into keyrings is something i struggle with, so i will be trying this!
Failures taught me that you're not a failure until you give up.
The endless pile of 'To-dos' - Scott Pilgrim Collage, Rawrrrr, Gotham Girls, Legoman evolution

chickenstitch
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by chickenstitch »

hmm might give this a try, or rather put it on the list on things to try

TheMainlander
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by TheMainlander »

Thanks so much for the guide (especially the video), it finally inspired me to try a cross-stitch project other than a kit!

I decided to make some charm-style keychains of NES-era Final Fantasy characters, using 14 count plastic canvas. That size is giving me 2" keychains, a perfect size for my needs.
Spoiler
ffkeychains.jpg
ffkeychains.jpg (191.56 KiB) Viewed 24393 times
Red Mage is finished, double-sided and sewn together, then finished with Mod Podge. Black Mage, still in progress, is only the back (mirror image) so far.

After that, I have Thief and White Mage, then my party is complete! Or, at least my set of keys...
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."
-Jayne, Firefly

Krysta
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Krysta »

I went to the store to get the mod podge but they had so many different ones, i got confused. Which one is the best?