Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Keeping, Storing and Stain Prevention

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Keeping, Storing and Stain Prevention

Post by Lord Libidan »

I personally follow this guide line:http://withoutastitchon.blogspot.co.uk/ ... son-1.html
When it comes to finger prints though, you should ALWAYS wash your hands before stitching. Hands have oils on them which can discolour threads.
Good news is they wash out fairly easily though. (As long as you haven't ironed them)

curliewurlie
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by curliewurlie »

That's really useful, thank you. I do always wash my hands, and i will admit i have got better as i have got older. Or maybe more of a perfectionist is the right term :P

Thanks again! :good:
Failures taught me that you're not a failure until you give up.
The endless pile of 'To-dos' - Scott Pilgrim Collage, Rawrrrr, Gotham Girls, Legoman evolution

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by kuja.girl »

Another great guide! (I should finish mine... soon, I swear).

Another alternative not mentioned is no-sew adhesives. Things like Heat'n Bond Lite Iron on Adhesive Tape. This also works well (though it can bulk the edges so you may want to trim it off for framing).

Go ahead and use masking tape (I have) but if you want it to be archival remove it/cut away the parts that were taped afterward as I don't believe it is acid free. I would also suggest using the blue painters tape variety because it is meant to be removed from delicate surfaces w/o leaving marks/sticky.

Since I now have a sewing machine I use a zigzag stitch around the edges like Eliste. It's fast and on fabrics with tight weaves (linen & evenweaves) it works really well. I imagine it works the least well on small count (loose weave) fabrics like 12 count aidia. Though in that case you can adjust the stitches to be closer together which should solve the problem.

idk if that helps anyone at all but there it is. Lastly, here's to dry central California weather, where I was able to store my stitchings 1) on top of each other 2) in dark cabinets and 3) never had issues with critters, fur, fungus or anything else for YEARS! ;)
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |

CrazyCucco11
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by CrazyCucco11 »

What kind of soap do you use when washing your work before ironing? Will a dab of dish soap work?
Time passes, people move, like a rivers' flow, it never ends...
-Sheik

Current Project:
RMDC's Ballad of the Wind Fish

Next Projects:
Hunting for a cool Dr. Who bookmark...

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

CrazyCucco11 wrote:What kind of soap do you use when washing your work before ironing? Will a dab of dish soap work?
I use a tiny bit of clear dish soap added to a bowl of water. I hand-stir the water, very gently, so that there are no bubbles.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

Very useful post... I should probably find where my stitched-waiting-finishing projects ended up...

Looks guiltily at messy dusty craft room with pile of (mostly) finished projects shoved in bags together
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/