Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Needles And Their Sizes

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Needles And Their Sizes

Post by Lord Libidan »

Cross stitch needles are also known as small tapestry needles, they have rounded points, and have a longer wider space to thread in.
Most cross stitch needles are nickel plated, you can also get gold plated ones, which are for people with nickel allergies, they don't aid or hinder performance. However they are less prone to rust.
Petite needles are the same width as normal embroidery needles, but are 1/4 of an inch smaller than normal needles, which are an inch long. These needles are go get the most out of the thread, or for personal preference.

The higher the number of needle the smaller the needle actually is.
You may find that a size smaller needle helps, I personally use 1 size smaller than normal, as it pulls the fabric less, unless using plastic canvas.

As a general guide:
Size 18 - 6 count aida fabric
Size 20 - 8 count aida fabric
Size 22 - 11 count aida fabric
Size 24 - 14 count aida fabric
Size 26 - 16 count aida fabric
Size 28 - 18 count aida fabric

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Needles And Their Sizes

Post by kuja.girl »

I bought gold plated needles once - and I really liked them except that the gold plate wore off before I finished my project - so in my opinion, they are a waste of money.
I'm (a little) allergic to nickle but I've never had a reaction to a needle, I think my calluses protect me.
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

kuja.girl wrote:I bought gold plated needles once - and I really liked them except that the gold plate wore off before I finished my project - so in my opinion, they are a waste of money.
I've heard of this before actually. The price difference over here is pretty minimal I think, however they definitely do have a shorter "lifespan".

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by kuja.girl »

I found that they were slightly smoother than the nickle-plated ones, though it could have been my imagination. They don't cost much more, but if I have to toss them after every project then I'd rather not be bothered. >:)
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

kuja.girl wrote:I found that they were slightly smoother than the nickle-plated ones, though it could have been my imagination. They don't cost much more, but if I have to toss them after every project then I'd rather not be bothered. >:)
The gold plate wears off, where as the nickel oxidises.
Nickel is 75% copper, which starts to oxidise, and make that "rough" feeling you get on old needles.
Keeping them in their original packing should stop this happening as much.

starrley
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by starrley »

Lord Libidan wrote:
kuja.girl wrote:I found that they were slightly smoother than the nickle-plated ones, though it could have been my imagination. They don't cost much more, but if I have to toss them after every project then I'd rather not be bothered. >:)
The gold plate wears off, where as the nickel oxidises.
Nickel is 75% copper, which starts to oxidise, and make that "rough" feeling you get on old needles.
Keeping them in their original packing should stop this happening as much.
I hate it when my needles oxidize!
On another note, I believe that needle sizes may be different in the US than the UK. My embroidery needles range in size from 5 to 10. Or am I missing something... (that is entirely possible! :grin: )
"I assure you, Commander, the cards are sufficiently randomized."

:pika Current projects: :pika
Sherlock wallpaper stitch
Quilting
Crocheting

DA

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

starrley wrote:On another note, I believe that needle sizes may be different in the US than the UK. My embroidery needles range in size from 5 to 10. Or am I missing something... (that is entirely possible! :grin: )
Yes. Cross stitch needles are tapastry needles, where as embroidery needles are sharper, have a smaller eye, they have different numbering. I'm not sure what size is best or anything though...

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by kuja.girl »

Lord Libidan wrote:Nickel is 75% copper, which starts to oxidise, and make that "rough" feeling you get on old needles.
I didn't even know they were nickle until you told me, so this makes sense :) Now I know that there IS a good reason to change out your needles every now and then!

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

starrley wrote: On another note, I believe that needle sizes may be different in the US than the UK. My embroidery needles range in size from 5 to 10. Or am I missing something... (that is entirely possible! :grin: )
Embroidery needles come in many shapes too. Milliners, crewel, sharps etc. the only needles I've found that are very different in sizes are the handmade Japanese ones, which, incidentally, I would definitely recommend for anyone else with nickel allergies.

amphibious
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by amphibious »

I knew to use the blunt ones with big eyes, but you are saying there are different sizes of needle for different counts of aida?! Crazy!

I must go and see if I kept the packet for my needles because I am suddenly very curious what I have been using all this time.