Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Beginner - how to finish the work ?

Dunkel
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Beginner - how to finish the work ?

Post by Dunkel »

Hello,

I'm a new cross stichting man, and I'm correctly working on a little Bowser (40x40) for my son. I hope to finish it for the end of the week.

When the cross stitching will be done, how I finish correctly my work ? Do you fill the external point with white for having an homogenous figure ? I don't know what to do. Do you have some tips or examples to help me ?

Regards

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Beginner - how to finish the work ?

Post by Pyper »

Welcome to the hobby :)

There are a couple of tricks you can use to make a finished piece look fantastic - washing, ironing and blocking. Between them they can even out stitching and hide a multitude of sins. Eliste put together a guide a while back that I still use on her blog here.

In terms of white space it comes down to personal preference. I fill in white (or canvas coloured areas) which are part of the character/piece, but will leave background areas empty. Other people will leave any white areas unstitched. Personally I fill in these areas for the texture because to me it looks like a piece is missing if I don't, but it really comes down to what you think looks best.
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Beginner - how to finish the work ?

Post by Eliste »

I think its really personal preference on how you fill the space. Depending on what you're doing with it, that might also dictate.

If you're framing, leaving it blank is fine, but you can fill in. However, you can also choose to mat it/frame it far enough in that you don't see the edges at all depending on the size frame and project you have. I like to leave space as its somewhere that I can "sign" my work.

If you're turning it into a pillow or other piece of garment/blanket/etc I'd recommend fully filling in to the sides if they're going to be shown.

Also, I'm impressed people are still referring to that series of mine that Pyper linked. It definitely has a lot of good advice in it and I've tried to keep it up to date. Whatever you choose to do, you definitely should clean it first.