Beginner - how to finish the work ?

Dunkel
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Beginner - how to finish the work ?

Postby Dunkel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:18 am

Hello,

I'm a new cross stichting man, and I'm correctly working on a little Bowser (40x40) for my son. I hope to finish it for the end of the week.

When the cross stitching will be done, how I finish correctly my work ? Do you fill the external point with white for having an homogenous figure ? I don't know what to do. Do you have some tips or examples to help me ?

Regards

Pyper
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Re: Beginner - how to finish the work ?

Postby Pyper » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Welcome to the hobby :)

There are a couple of tricks you can use to make a finished piece look fantastic - washing, ironing and blocking. Between them they can even out stitching and hide a multitude of sins. Eliste put together a guide a while back that I still use on her blog here.

In terms of white space it comes down to personal preference. I fill in white (or canvas coloured areas) which are part of the character/piece, but will leave background areas empty. Other people will leave any white areas unstitched. Personally I fill in these areas for the texture because to me it looks like a piece is missing if I don't, but it really comes down to what you think looks best.
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, koi pond, cat
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

Return to “Stitching - Techniques and Guides”