Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Moirae's Misc Stitches (FOs - December 2023)

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Moirae's Misc Stitches (WIP-Egyptian Sampler update 3/4/18)

Post by Firehawke »

It's looking beautiful!!!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Moirae's Misc Stitches (WIP-Egyptian Sampler update 3/4/18)

Post by Pyper »

Its amazing how much the backstitch makes the image. I always enjoy seeing updates on this one :)
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

Moirae
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Re: Moirae's Misc Stitches (WIP-Sew Cozy and Save the Stitches update 3/15/18)

Post by Moirae »

I had planned to stitch some tonight, but I've been watching The Great British Baking Show on Netflix recently and that somehow resulted in me deciding I needed to make some French bread instead. Baking is an off and on hobby for me. So as I sit here stuffing half a loaf of a slightly mediocre baguette in my maw (it's been years since I made a loaf of bread and it was never a strength of mine lol), I thought I'd at least take some pictures and post an update on some of my other WIPs.

My sewing room project is coming along nicely. I've been stitching on this one when I want don't want to work on a stand project. The quilt marks the top of the pattern.
sewing room - March 2018.jpg
I guess it's time for more info on this one. I'd forgotten I promised to post it later when I first posted about the project.
Maker: Dimensions
Line: Charts & Charms
Pattern Title: Sew Cozy (#: 72378)
Designer: Lynn Waters Busa
Finished Size: ~12" x 10" (Design says 14" x 12", but I measured mine and the actual stitch area is smaller)
Fabric: 14 Count Aida - Natural -James Thompson & Co., Inc.
Year: 1996
This is from an discontinued /out of print line called Charts & Charms. It seems to pop up on ebay maybe twice a month. It took a few months, but I was luckily able to pick it up fairly cheap for a $16 bid a year ago before it seemed to take a price jump. For awhile afterwards I saw it going for $40-$50. I just checked and last month one went for $14 and another for $80 (bidding war). So, the price is really variable.

Unfortunately you'd want a new/unopened pattern because it comes with these embellishments (all the patterns in this line come with some sort of charms and sometimes specialty threads). I believe they are brass and brass-plated charms and a few plastic heart-shaped buttons that I didn't photograph. I pulled them out and polished them but I'm still quite a bit aways from needing them.
charms.jpg
There are quite few other versions/variations of this pattern without charms. Some of the items in the room are different or shifted around. Some are in different colors and have completely different quilts... and... I just found out that a lot of them are in this old leaflet.
Country Collections "The Sewing Room" by Lynn Waters Busa that can be found cheaper than the Charts & Charms pattern.
https://www.etsystudio.com/listing/5348 ... the-sewing
in case anyone wants a similar pattern that's not so expensive/or quite as hard to get.

and an update on my blackwork sampler 'Save the Stitches'. I haven't put too much focus on this one, but I like to pick it up every once in awhile.
This is the full width of this project. I've finished the outline for 1/6 of the whole project (yeah it's a big one and I'm going slow on it).
Blackwork SAL - March 2018 - Whole.jpg
Here's a closer picture of the fills.
Blackwork SAL - March 2018.jpg
Official stats: Patterns - 2 completely finished. 4 more needs metallics or beads. 1 is nearly there, too. 16 are outlined and 111 are not yet started. (134 total)

btw- I have stitched more on my Egyptian Sampler. Hoping to have enough done to post another update by next week, but I expect my next post will be an update of my Hardanger runner.
Last edited by Moirae on Sun May 27, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best quality photos here, but,for more frequent updates, check out my instagram
https://www.instagram.com/moiraestitches/

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Moirae's Misc Stitches (WIP-Sew Cozy and Save the Stitches update 3/15/18)

Post by Firehawke »

Fresh French bread? Yum!

The sewing room is looking beautiful!!! Those charms will add so much!

Loving the Save the Stitches sampler! It's on my bucket list...one of these days :P

Can't wait to see more pics!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Moirae
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Re: Moirae's Misc Stitches (WIP-Hardanger Runner 3/17/18)

Post by Moirae »

I'm trying not to go months without updates. As long as I have a decent amount of progress to show, I'd like to continue posting frequently/regularly.

Here's the update on the Hardanger table runner. I seem to have acquired a lot more wrinkles since the last post; it's probably because I was using this as my travel project for a while. I've gotten another couple dozen eyelets done around the center and started the dove's eye fills.
Hardanger runner WIP 3.jpg
Dove's eye. I'm having an issue with keeping the tension consistent from one stitching session to another, but it looks fine from a distance.
The entire big cut areas will be filled with this stitch.
Hardanger runner WIP 3 Closeup.jpg
Last edited by Moirae on Sun May 27, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Moirae's Misc Stitches (WIP-Sew Cozy & Save the Stitches 3/15, Hardanger 3/17)

Post by Pyper »

That runner looks fantastic :clap: Is it hard to do? It looks really time consuming.
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

Moirae
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Re: Moirae's Misc Stitches (WIP-Sew Cozy & Save the Stitches 3/15, Hardanger 3/17)

Post by Moirae »

Pyper wrote:That runner looks fantastic :clap: Is it hard to do? It looks really time consuming.
Thank you. warning- Long rambling and run-on sentences follow:
The buttonhole stitch on the outside is a little difficult to get the hang of, but the rest isn't too bad. That stitch is kind of optional too. If you don't want to cut it out in the end, you don't have to do it. Even stitch tension is a bit of a problem for me especially since I take long breaks on it, but it still looks decent. The big satin stitches in pearl cotton go really fast, but the filling in parts can take awhile because you have to weave around the strands. That said, I think it's a bit less time consuming than cross stitch. This is done on 22-count usually and if I tried to cross stitch the same area (over 1 thread), it would take a lot longer. When you get to the lacy areas, you don't really have to count and check the pattern and change colors like in cross stitch, so it's mostly busy work; I even did a lot of the fill on this in a car during a road trip.

This is only my 2nd piece. My first small piece where I learned the stitches only took me 2 days (though they were long sessions) and that's on page 2 of this thread. If anyone is interested in trying it out, the link to the pattern is listed there and below as well. It has the handouts she uses for her classes and breaks the project into 3 sessions/parts.

Here's the link again: http://www.godtland.com/Hardanger/
Here's another site with several small lessons (free). I didn't do the patterns here, but I found the diagrams and explanations for the buttonhole stitch to be very clear and helpful.
https://www.needlework-tips-and-techniq ... anger.html
This place might also be helpful to anyone wanting to know more. It is affiliated with a needlework store and tells you things like what size threads you need for your fabric. (For the runner I'm making, it's 22 ct and I used pearl cotton #5 and #8, Lugana and Linen are other fabrics you can use)
http://www.nordicneedle.net/guides/stit ... mbroidery/

On a slightly related note. I went to some botanical gardens a half hour from my home with my mom and afterwards we went to check out the LNS about a mile from there. (I have another LNS about a 1.5 miles away from my home, but it's mostly yarns, threads, and hand painted (expensive) needlepoint canvas and I've really wanted to see if this one was better.) Well this LNS had quite a lot of cross stitch patterns including designers I've only seen online before (Lizzie Kate, Primitive Hare, etc). None of the local big box store carry much in the way of cross stitch kits and no patterns, so I was pretty happy. Oh, and when the owner asked us what kind of needlework we did, I mentioned that I was doing some Hardanger. She was surprised because apparently someone comes in to teach a class, but she's 94 and I am literally the only other person the owner has met that knew what it was and did any (I turned 31 yesterday, so now the only other person I've heard of doing this in IRL is 3 times my age). :shock: I knew it wasn't that popular, but it's still a little surprising. Oh, well, sure, I can't find any books in the library and I find myself looking at 100 year old copies of magazines online for patterns, but I guess I can enjoy being a little unique :nod .

I picked up some green beads for my blackwork project and this Halloween pattern by the Cross Eyed Cricket. I've been eyeing up another pattern by them online, so I went for it.
October - Cricket Collection.jpg
Unfortunately I didn't realize how wide the pattern is (over 300 stitches) and that the letters are done in silk over-dyed floss and some decorative buttons at the end. I'm having trouble finding the right cloth in a wide enough piece online. The recommend 30 ct one in the stitched example has been discontinued, too. So, I think I might go with a cheaper Lugana instead of linen, but I'm a little torn on which color to get. I think I'll probably wait a bit to kit it up because I also need 2 skeins of that silk floss @ $8/piece and another $8 for the buttons at the end. I still have several WIPS to finish :blush: and a few other patterns I've been wanting to start as well.

PS: I went there to see the Tulips in bloom and I think these were my favorite of them. Descanso Gardens.
Tulips.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Happy belated birthday!

The runner is looking beautiful! :clap:

That sounds like a fun day...and beautiful flowers!

And what a fun new project! Does either LNS do cut to order fabric? Good luck!

Moirae
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Re: Moirae's Misc Stitches (WIP-Egyptian Sampler 3/22)

Post by Moirae »

Firehawke wrote:Does either LNS do cut to order fabric?
Eh, the first one doesn't even have needlepoint canvas besides handpainted ones. The second one did have some rolls of zweigart aida, but I'm not sure if there was evenweaves. I'll find something eventually and probably order from 123stitch. I'm just being picky about the color and a little cheap. I'm not sure if I will like linen enough to spend $20+ on a piece (+the silks and buttons and it adds up). I've got a small 9x13" piece of zweigart cashel linen here that I need to try out first. It just looks so flimsy/insubstantial to me, even more so than Lugana. I need to stop accidentally picking or falling in love with patterns that need several metallics, overdyed floss, silks, charms/buttons, etc lol.

Now. I said I'd post another update on my Teresa Wentzler piece. So here goes. Just the top half this time. It was overcast and rainy all day, so I didn't get a daylight picture, but this one is still better than the last one. I've finished the entire border outline :good: . I just need to finish everything else. :swoon:
Egyptian Sampler WIP Late March 2018 %28Top Only%29.jpg
Last edited by Moirae on Sun May 27, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Moirae's Misc Stitches (WIP-Egyptian Sampler 3/22, Hardanger 3/17)

Post by Firehawke »

Good luck figuring out which fabric will work best...and I totally understand the challenge of figuring out what's best but will cost the least :confused:

This project is looking SO beautiful!!!