Languages...

Anything goes!
CitrusOda
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Languages...

Post by CitrusOda »

Hello,

So I started thinking the other day about how much I love nerdy stuff but I only ever seem to partake in it in English.
My question is what languages do you speak? (I speak English, French and a little Japanese(English is the official language where I am))
annnnddd are things just as accessible in other languages? I tried to find manga in french and so far I'm experiencing difficulties.
"If we see the moon as they do, then why can we not see the Earth as they do? Hm..." ~ Meowth

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Languages...

Post by Firehawke »

I speak English...and I know a few words in different languages. I took French in high school...was much better at reading it than hearing/speaking it.
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Hellfire
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Hellfire »

Firehawke wrote:I speak English...and I know a few words in different languages. I took French in high school...was much better at reading it than hearing/speaking it.
I'm the same with French. Not done it since school so can only remember a few bits, same with Spanish. I can say a few words in German, Czech and Hungarian aswell.
WIP: Epic Pokemon generation III page 6of 30
Disney Princesses: page 2 of far to many. Lol.
SAL sampler
Disney birth sampler.

smoni
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by smoni »

I wish I could speak more languages, I wish I had the time to study them.

My French isn't bad, but nowhere near fluent. I can speak some German and understand some Spanish, but mainly from etemology from French/English/Latin.

Although not strictly a language, I've been learning to read Braille recently. I have a visually impaired child in my class who uses it for her work, so I felt obliged to make the effort. I've enjoyed it, but it's much more difficult than I expected!

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

English is my native tongue, but I do understand a bit of some of the languages from Mainland Europia such as French and German. I know a few words of Spanish and Italian too. My grammar tends to suck at the Europian languages though! I can speak a bit of Japanese as well, and read more of it (I can also write some!). Mostly with languages I am good at picking up the written version!

...on a side note, my regional dialect is practically a language of its own :D
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

SunkistShiek
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by SunkistShiek »

I'm a native English speaker, am fluent in American Sign Language (ASL), learned some French in my High School/early College years, and know a few words in Spanish. I wish I could learn Japanese and Russian. :)

I find for sign languages, at least where I'm from, aren't as accessible. Contrary to what people believe, they can't read lips. The good ones can read lips like hearing people and bad ones are worse. Especially, when people start speaking louder. It used to be harder to get things captioned, but it's getting better although I think that everything should be captioned, no exceptions. Although, captions assume that Deaf people can read, but the average reading level for a Deaf person is 3rd grade. So it's not really good.

That's the only language that I really know the most about. I haven't tried looking for anything else in other languages, so I don't know how that goes.
WIP
Link's Sword (4/30); SAL Sampler; Adult Size Monster Pants (knitting)
ImageImageImage

Mishatu
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Mishatu »

English is my primary language, although I am somewhat adept at Spanish and I know a few signs in ASL (Just the basics, like "thank you", "sorry", and "you're welcome"). Also presently in a German class, which has been quite entertaining.

I'll be taking an elementary Spanish course in the fall, primarily because I was too lazy to bother testing into a higher level course. Should be an interesting experience, methinks.

imaginaryanna
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by imaginaryanna »

English is my native language, I learned Spanish through high school and college, studied Japanese in college, and now am learning Korean... since I live in Korea now. Sadly out of all of them Korean is the one I'm having the hardest time with! The pronunciation... there are sounds that don't exist in English that my tongue just seems to reject haha

There's tons of geeky materials here in Korea... I just have to learn more to be able to fully appreciate it!

Jojoe
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Jojoe »

My native language is Swedish, I'm quite fluent in English and I know some Spanish (just basic stuff - learned it in school when i was about 12). Everyone in Sweden learns english in school so we are all more or less fluent in it over here.
'Tis one thing to be tempted, another thing to fall.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Jojoe wrote:My native language is Swedish, I'm quite fluent in English and I know some Spanish (just basic stuff - learned it in school when i was about 12). Everyone in Sweden learns english in school so we are all more or less fluent in it over here.
I have found that many people on the continent speak excellent English. At what age do you start learning English in Sweden? I visited Germany when I was young, and had some wonderful conversations with the other kids there. We were about 13, though - they told me they'd been learning English since they were small children, while my group had only been learning German for about 18 months at that point.
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...