Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

HOW CAN THEY NOT MATCH?!

Anything goes!
tishy19
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

HOW CAN THEY NOT MATCH?!

Post by tishy19 »

I'm getting super frustrated and just needed to vent like whoa, but I started a project using DMC 815 and ran out with about 1/5 to go with that color, so I went to the store to buy more, got home to start stitching again and somehow THE COLORS DON'T MATCH. HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN?@! DMC I am very disappointed in you. So now I guess I'll just take the whole damn thing into the store and try to match by eye? IDK but I'm about ready to throw my hoop across the room.

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: HOW CAN THEY NOT MATCH?!

Post by Eliste »

tishy19 wrote:I'm getting super frustrated and just needed to vent like whoa, but I started a project using DMC 815 and ran out with about 1/5 to go with that color, so I went to the store to buy more, got home to start stitching again and somehow THE COLORS DON'T MATCH. HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN?@! DMC I am very disappointed in you. So now I guess I'll just take the whole damn thing into the store and try to match by eye? IDK but I'm about ready to throw my hoop across the room.
This happened to me. I was very annoyed.

All is not lost if you have the original packaging. In very small print, DMC always prints their dye lot on each pack of thread. If you have the original packaging you can use that to match them. I ended up buying straight from DMC as my local store didn't have the same dye batch, but it can be done. Failing that, yeah, match by eye is best, although I would caution you to try to do so in actual lighting even if it means asking if you can take it out of the store, or at least to a window.

Are you fully out of the other color? If not, another option is to do half stitches in the old color and finish the cross with the new color, blending the two. Then you can keep going with the new version even if its not quite the same and it shouldn't be as obvious as it would be if it was a straight change between the two.

tishy19
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by tishy19 »

Eliste wrote:This happened to me. I was very annoyed.

All is not lost if you have the original packaging. In very small print, DMC always prints their dye lot on each pack of thread. If you have the original packaging you can use that to match them. I ended up buying straight from DMC as my local store didn't have the same dye batch, but it can be done. Failing that, yeah, match by eye is best, although I would caution you to try to do so in actual lighting even if it means asking if you can take it out of the store, or at least to a window.

Are you fully out of the other color? If not, another option is to do half stitches in the old color and finish the cross with the new color, blending the two. Then you can keep going with the new version even if its not quite the same and it shouldn't be as obvious as it would be if it was a straight change between the two.
Gah! No, sadly, I'm completely out. I'm gonna try a few different shops around the area and see if any of those other 815s will work. I have learned a valuable lesson though, about the batch numbers and that overbuying on floss isn't a horrible idea.

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

The same thing happens to yarn and fabric. It is the batch.

Each time something is dyed it is very hard to match exactly. So you get a slight variation if the batch is different.

JulieK
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by JulieK »

That happened to me with a green forest :rant: .

There was no complete match but it is wasn't noticeable to anyone who didn't know it was there. I think part of my issue is the threads were also slightly different textures - one appears shinier than the other so I am hoping after a wash it will become less noticeable.

I think my issue arose as I bought the fabrics a long time apart. I haven't had an issue when I have bought fabrics within a short period of time. I now take a sample of the thread colour I need with me so that I can check the colour.

It is really frustrating. Happened twice on one project. Luckily the second colour doesn't regularly appear together so even I can't tell that one is different.

Julie