Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

What are you watching now and why?

Anything goes!
QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

What are you watching now and why?

Post by QueenBex »

So we have "what are you reading" and "what are you playing" threads, I figured we could have a watching thread too.

Discuss tv, films, theatre, youtube etc.
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Re: What are you watching now and why?

Post by QueenBex »

I just watched the first episode of Defiance, urgh how disappointing, they had such promise and it could've been amazing! But no.

Back to QI, Midsomer Murders, Rosemary and Thyme and French and Saunders. Here I was hoping for something new and exciting to watch :p

Thinking of watching one of my horror/ thriller films tonight, but which one? The Birds? Resident Evil 2? Sleepy Hollow? The Silence of the Lambs?
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Ally »

I've been on a bit of a Studio Ghibli kick as of late. Yesterday I watched Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away, and today I watched Kiki's Delivery Service. As for television, I'm going back over my Game of Thrones DVD's to be ready for the new season next month. When I'm done with those, I'm thinking it's time to start my annual Buffy marathon!
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Lol projects? What are projects?

Follow me on Tumblr: http://ally147writes.tumblr.com/

stitchingmama
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by stitchingmama »

House of Cards. I love to binge watch shows. This year I'm enjoying The Big Bang Theory (as always) and Agents of Shield. My favourite show right now is Parenthood, I hope it gets renewed.
"I need to feel your cross stitch. Feels like 8-bit" - my three year old

BigDaddyWiz
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by BigDaddyWiz »

Just finished watching "Welcome to the NHK". Its an anime about a socially awkward introvert trying to become less of a socially awkward introvert. I highly recommend it (gave me a Clannad vibe mainly based on the amount of Feels). I also recently watched "Attack on Titan". I really enjoyed the first couple episodes but ended up losing interest, then really hated the ending (or lack of one). The show just ended. I swear it didnt resolve one plot point. Im not sure if there will be more seasons but I couldnt find anything. Anyone plan on watching "Resurrection"? I believe its a US remake of a French show. looks kinda interesting but I enjoy syfy/supernatural shows.

no_need
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by no_need »

I'm loving Castle at the moment. Nathan Fillion is one of my favourite actors ever. In fact, as I type this I'm watching Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog (love NPH as well!).

Also on the books: How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Brooklyn 99, and Father Ted. Anime: Cowboy Bebop :D and I've recently acquired Spirited Away and My Neighbour Totoro, so will likely be watching those soon.

Off-topic: anime people, subbed or dubbed? It's all about subbed for me, so I can't really watch anime while crafting, but I just don't really think they work with Western voices. Thoughts?
Current projects: 'Heroes' sketch, experiments with surface embroidery.

"We have to build the republic of heaven where we are, because for us there is no elsewhere."
--Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass

BigDaddyWiz
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by BigDaddyWiz »

no_need wrote: subbed or dubbed?
I prefer dubbed over subbed. I watched Bleach, Inuyasha, and Attack on Titan subbed. Bleach mainly because I thought the show was awesome and didnt want to wait for the dubbed to catch up. Attack on Titan to see what the fuss was about. Bleach kinda killed my subbed days. I just couldnt imagine watching another 300+ episode series with that much focus (i.e. reading). Plus, I mainly perfer dubbed because Im a multitasker. I always have more than one thing going on. I feel funimation, for the most part, does a good job with its voice acting although they recycle a lot of their actors. I appreciate wanting to watch anime as originally inteded though and a majority seem to perfer subbed. Its weird cause I would never watch a live action foriegn language film dubbed, just the anime.

TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by TigerLily »

BigDaddyWiz wrote:Just finished watching "Welcome to the NHK". Its an anime about a socially awkward introvert trying to become less of a socially awkward introvert. I highly recommend it.
That was recommended to me by a friend years ago. We traded anime recommedations all the time haha. I thought it was quite good. I'd recommend it to others as well.

Also, it's kind of understandable that you sort of lost interest in Attack on Titan. The episodes did get slower/less interesting and there were times that we would joke that if one character or another wasn't in an episode we'd stop watching. :P I still liked it though. I heard the second season is still another year away! Which is kind of nuts considering how much world-wide attention it has gotten.
no_need wrote:Father Ted.
<3
no_need wrote:Off-topic: anime people, subbed or dubbed? It's all about subbed for me, so I can't really watch anime while crafting, but I just don't really think they work with Western voices. Thoughts?
For me, it depends on the anime. Most of the time I prefer subbed, but I think some characters in some shows really do sound well when dubbed. My favourite being Cowboy Bebop. I just think the Western voices really suit the characters. So much so, that when I went back to the subbed version, I couldn't tell who was talking sometimes, haha.

As for me, I'm watching tons of stuff at the moment. I had never really watched Buffy or Angel when they aired, so I am watching them now. Trying to get through them before I stumble upon spoilers, which are all over the internet. Newer shows I'm watching include Kill la Kill, Space Dandy, Community, Hannibal, Supernatural and there are probably others that I'm not remembering at the moment, or that are on a break or whatever.

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

I personally want to watch anime subbed whenever possible. I'll admit there are some good dubbed versions, but there's just something about the Japanese voice acting that just really hits the nail on the head. With that being said, I'm currently going through and watching One Piece subbed. I'm a speed reader, so I can watch and stitch at the same time. Sometimes I'll miss a sentence or two, but it's enough that I can still do both things.

@QueenBex: I loved Rosemary and Thyme. I watched all of them on Netflix once. Gotta love the British detective stories. I also watched through Agatha Christie's Poirot and enjoyed that as well.
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Ooo plenty of shows mentioned that i'll have to look into!

As for subbed vs dubbed, i'm a bit of both, obviously the original is better always, but then my multitasking means I can't keep up with subs, and lets face it they don't always work. A lot more time money and effort go into dubbed, studio ghibli films come to mind, plus they usually get awesome voice actors to do the translation. I do prefer the dubbed version of Kiki's Delivery Service to the original.
Kareesh wrote:@QueenBex: I loved Rosemary and Thyme. I watched all of them on Netflix once. Gotta love the British detective stories. I also watched through Agatha Christie's Poirot and enjoyed that as well.
Good old British detectives! If you liked Poirot you'll like Miss Marple, played by Geraldine Mcewan and Julia Mckenzie especially, they own it just like David Suchet owns Poirot. Julia took over when Geraldine passed away, but they cast her well, a perfect person to continue the series! Oh and the black and white ones are good too, can't recall her nane but she has a dodgy mouth and loads of humour. :) Midsomer Murders is another detective show, a bit more intense then Rosemary and Thyme, longer episodes and for longer running too.

@Tigerlily: I keep thinking I should watch Hannibal, I like the films, but I keep waivering, any arguments for and against picking this series up?