Current Challenge - In Game Ads -

So...What Are You Reading Now?

Anything goes!
Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: So...What Are You Reading Now?

Postby Firehawke » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 am

Arcade Catastrophe by Brandon Mull (okay...technically I'm listening to it :P)
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

the_antithesis
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby the_antithesis » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:13 pm

I'm re-reading The Black Star by Lin Carter. I discovered this book thanks to the article "A Well-Tempered Plot Device" by Nick Lowe where Lowe uses this book as an example of how to write poorly. He refers to it as the handbook. It is pretty * even past the reasons given in the article. Fascinatingly so. Kind of sad, though, since Carter had intended to make it the first in a trilogy but the following two were never published. This is made even more sad given that Carter had published a non-fiction book on the history of fantasy called Imaginary Worlds around that same time and had Quixotely used excerpts from the unpublished second novel as examples of "good" writing. (He found the name Herpes Zoster to be a good fantasy character name)

I don't know what's wrong with me, but you can learn a lot more about writing from bad writing than you can from good writing.

Kittendumpling
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Postby Kittendumpling » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:15 pm

I'm between books at the moment, and am having serious option paralysis about what to read next. :confused:

rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Postby rockinwithrammstein » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:52 pm

I got a huge collection of classic novels recently (thanks random gift card I found in my purse!) and right now I'm reading Anna Karenina. It's alright so far. I was reading The Idiot, but I just could NOT get into the story. The next book I'm going to read is The Scarlet Letter. Was supposed to read it in high school, but I transferred from my school right before they started and got to my new school right after they finished. I figured I probably should read it in case I missed out on something great lol
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Mega Peacock (page 3 of 40)
Sophie's Universe

Visit my blog :)

Aegidia
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Postby Aegidia » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:53 am

I just finished 'The Buried Giant' by Kazuo Ishiguro. It... is odd. The ending made me cry and made me want to call my boyfriend (I can't, he's working). I like the story, especially after it picks up about 80 pages in, and the otherwordly style, but I could do with a bit less repetition in the dialogue.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Postby blackmageheart » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:58 am

Reading the awesome "This Book Is Full Of Spiders...Seriously Dude Don't Touch It" by David Wong (editor at Cracked). It's the sequel to "John Dies At The End" which is also bloody awesome. Tons of horror, comedy and * jokes!

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Postby MeiTow » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:01 pm

Rockinwithrammstein -> I LOVE Scarlet Letter. Of course, most kids reading it in school hated it but I actually enjoyed it. Of course, I love that period in history so that may have been why. Haha! I should read it again soon as I haven't read it since high school. lol

Let's see...I have finished a few books since I last posted: The Husband's Secret, That Anita Blake book (Circus of the Damned), Creep on the Borderlands (it's part of a raunchy D&D spoof series called Caverns and Creatures. Great comedy for anyone that's done any tabletop rpg gaming), The Book Thief, Feral Heat, City of Bones, Journey Through the Afterlife: Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead, and Heart of Darkness.

I'm currently reading: Egyptian Mythology A-Z (I actually started this book about a year ago and put it down so now I've started it over since I'm kind of on an ancient Egypt kick), Masters of Sex (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Showtime series so wanted to read the book), America's Hidden History, and Fragments (the third book in the Out of Time series by Monique Martin).

Been doing a little bouncing between books, as is apparent by my currently reading list. I just finished Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad so I haven't quite settled on which book I want to go back to (just really depends on whether I want to read via my Kindle App or via Google Books) and I've started a dozen or so books and then get a new one and start that, etc, so I'm trying to focus on getting books I've already started finished.

SunkistShiek
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Postby SunkistShiek » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:37 pm

WIP
Link's Sword (4/30); SAL Sampler; Adult Size Monster Pants (knitting)

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Postby Eliste » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:36 am

I just finished rereading the Eisenhorn trilogy due to my Pariah incident (see above), and then because it was the only thing on my ipad that I hadn't read yet I started Kushiel's Dart, which I'm enjoying.

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Postby MeiTow » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:58 pm

Return to “Totally Off Topic”