Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Zelda: Spirit Tracks pattern request/assistance

video game related pattern requests...
skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Zelda: Spirit Tracks pattern request/assistance

Post by skater43 »

So looking for a pattern for Spirit Tracks. Haven't come across one (or one I really like), so looking to make one, or have you guys help make one. I think the cover of the box, obviously, does a good job of conveying what the game offers and is easily identifiable as Spirit Tracks. Riding the train and Spirit Zelda are the key mechanics of the game, As we can see, I've found a few pictures of the cover, most having the text removed. Nice thing about working with NES screenshots for many of my other projects is nice pixel to stitch ratio, resolution easily translates to a workable pattern and such. Here, though, to get good detail in the jpg or png and avoid fuzziness, you have to go to a high resolution, which would equate to a huge picture. I'd say 180px-Link-Zelda-Spirit-Train 2.png would be what I'd like the final picture to look like as far as cropping out the extraneous stuff and focusing on Link, Zelda and the train (think spirit-tracks.900x.jpg is a little too cropped). At 100%, the picture looks good. Zoomed in at 800%, so we could see the individual pixels/stitches, it's very blurry and pixelated and would not look good. To show the details and such, would 100x100 be big enough? Gut instinct tells me something closer to 150x150 is in order. Which is fine. I'd rather not go much bigger than that, figuring how long it'll take to stitch and all, but I'm willing to listen to ideas, suggestions, your guys' thoughts. Number of colors is wide open. I mean, I have no idea how many colors the images use. 30? 40? Maybe MS Paint has an easy way to count them, but I don't know. But I've got no problem with it taking 30 or 40 colors to get the shading and nuances right. I've got projects lined up for the next 2-3 months, so this isn't a rush job, but I wanted to get the ball rolling, see what you guys could come up with or suggest. Thank you.
Attachments
spirit-tracks.900x.jpg
lozst-illust1.jpg
110894_front.jpg
180px-Link-Zelda-Spirit-Train.png
180px-Link-Zelda-Spirit-Train.png (75.82 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
180px-Link-Zelda-Spirit-Train 2.png
180px-Link-Zelda-Spirit-Train 2.png (29.97 KiB) Viewed 2320 times

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Zelda: Spirit Tracks pattern request/assistance

Post by blackmageheart »

This will make a great pattern! Leave it with me, I have an idea about how to reduce the fuzzies and *maybe* keep the colours down to a reasonable level :)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. The OoT spiritual stones you did for me a few years ago came out great, so looking forward to what you come up with here. :)

ovi.sergiu
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by ovi.sergiu »

I don't understand how big you need this, or what fabric count you like, but I gave it a try with these details:
200 x 228 stitches
40 DMC colors
It is just a draft. I took out the tree from the right.
zelda 4 -5 20 0.jpg
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesignsByOvi
If you like my free patterns, I'll be more than grateful if you consider supporting my Etsy shop.

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Awesome, looks like we'll have some options. For size/time required considerations, I was hoping for around 100x100 up to maybe 150x150, ovi, but I recognize that that may not be feasible to keep the details and such. I've done a couple of 256x224 full screenshots of NES games, but both of those had a lot of black, so I just used black cloth and didn't have to stitch those parts. This would be fully stitched unless I went with a sky blue cloth and then didn't do the sky. Which wouldn't save me a ton of time, but some, especially if we cut out the leaves in the upper right corner. On the other hand, with 95ish% of it being stitched, it might look out of place to leave the sky undone/just the cloth for color (getting cloth of the right count and size of the right color is a consideration, too. 18ct white is easy to get. 18ct sky blue of sufficient size may be trickier/much more expensive). But this is why I'm throwing it out now, while I've got other stuff to work on, so we can see what you guys come up with, throw around ideas of how I'd how go about working on this and such.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

ovi's patterns are usually really nice so you at least have that as an option! I'm still working on a version for you as well though. I'm having to manually redraw parts to make them better at the 150x150 size so that's why it's taking more time, but I've been out working all weekend so I haven't had a chance to finish up on it yet. Should be done soon!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...