Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Punchneedling

non video game related projects...
bikyclist
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Punchneedling

Post by bikyclist »

I discovered punch needle the other day, and thought that Blue from Blues Clues would be cute done this way.

So here she is:

I'd take more care with the eyes and minute details next time, being only my second punch needle project ever, I'm not used to the way the loops go just yet!
Stuck the canvas to some cardboard, ironed the edges in place and then stuck the lot to a piece of blue foam, to which I'd already attached a magnet.

It looks better, colour-wise than my iphone camera in dodgy light makes it look, promise. :D

Yurtle
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Re: Punchneedling

Post by Yurtle »

It looks very cute. I've never been able to get into punch needling. Not sure why. Good job though!

RenaeNaeMarie
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by RenaeNaeMarie »

Aw how cute. I've been seeing more punch needle work lately and it just looks so good. How is it done?

bikyclist
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by bikyclist »

You use a special hollow needle to feed the thread -- actually best idea would be to google 'punch needle needles' for a better idea of what I mean -- and for this project I threaded the needle with three strands of floss at a time, and used 25-count adia. You have the pattern on the back of the piece, and literally punch the needle through the canvas multiple times to create the loops on the front. You work these things up really fast, so it makes a nice change from cross stitching sometimes.

http://www.amherst-antiques-folkart.com ... _Howto.htm - This site has a few pictures of the process, but its really wordy; sadly still the best how to I could find. I'm sure if you cared to explore, youtube would have some videos of the process too. :)

RenaeNaeMarie
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by RenaeNaeMarie »

Thanks. I'm going to have to look into this!

bikyclist
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by bikyclist »

Good luck with it all!