Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

First ever WIP

non video game related projects...
TaruSway
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

First ever WIP

Post by TaruSway »

Few days late, darn that life, took me FOREVER to get all the colors sorted and stuff. (I picked up a craft stamped kit) and it doesn't look quite right, so I wanted to make sure I'm doing this right.

The thread just seems...thin..or off or something...maybe I'm just being paranoid about it. The kit told me to take each strand and separate each of the six pieces that make up a 'strand' then each color specifies how many of those 'threads' to use in a stitch. I swear it's more confusing and harder than the counted custom pieces I have in my mind to plan!!!!

So here's a few pics, please let me know if I'm doing something wrong or any pointers, I'd greatly appreciate!!

Spoiler
Spoiler
It's also hurting my hand a bit and awkward to hold it, I have three different sized hoops, I'm thinking of moving to a smaller hoop as well.

Thanks for any help!!
-Sway
Mother, Lover, Gamer
Spoiler
Image on spoiler till I make a more size appropriate one!!

Laialda
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: First ever WIP

Post by Laialda »

It looks like your doing a good job so far to me ^_^ the first close up is a bit blurry but the kit has it right. Each thread should have six strands and then you use however many of those strands the kit calls for. I believe stamped ones ask for 3 but it could be 2. Haven't done one in awhile >.< .

Don't worry too much about there being spaces visible between your stitches. Just concentrate on keeping your stitches even and pulled snug against the fabric. :) The instructions should tell you that you will need to wash this once you're finished and that will cause some shrinking which will in turn cause your stitches to look a little fuller. This is also why it's important to keep your stitches snug and not too tight/loose as it can make your thread get caught on things easily or become sunken into the fabric.

Like I said though, your piece is looking really nice so far ^_^ lol, It can cramp up your hand a bit though. I've been stitching for years and I still have this problem. Just make sure you take breaks when it does start to bother you and I find the massaging my hand some helps as well. After awhile those muscles shouldn't be too bothered as you get more practice in. :nod

Keep at it and feel free to ask questions if you have any concerns here! ^_^ We're a friendly lot of people and shall be glad to offer advice.
I reject your reality and submit my own! - Mythbusters
Laialda's Etsy Shop: Craftigurumi
My gallery over on DeviantArt

TaruSway
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by TaruSway »

Thank you! I put it up until I new if I was doing it right!! Didn't want to have to unstitch a lot of work! Going to start fresh tomorrow, I'll post WIP pics!!
-Sway
Mother, Lover, Gamer
Spoiler
Image on spoiler till I make a more size appropriate one!!

Caiella
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Caiella »

Your piece is looking awesome so far :)
Laialda wrote:Don't worry too much about there being spaces visible between your stitches. Just concentrate on keeping your stitches even and pulled snug against the fabric. :)
I agree with this, it's frustrating when you see the white bits, but it always looks better when you wash it :)

(if this doesn't make sense, tell me... :P) Generally I've found that 2 strands works well for crosses, and 1 strand for backstitch, but I know there's heaps of different ways to do it, so whatever way feels right to you is best :)

I wish you luck with your future cross stitch adventures ^^