Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Doctor Who WIP (pinball images)

non video game related projects...
the_antithesis
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Doctor Who WIP (pinball images)

Post by the_antithesis »

This is taken from the Doctor Who pinball game from the 90's. That, naturally, only had the first seven doctors, so I've been trying to make the later incarnations. It's a bit slow going. Not sure if I'm happy with the ones I'd made. I think I need to crop them a bit closer. The last three heads look embarrassingly small.

Wasn't sure what I'd do with this when it's done, then it came to me: a scarf. This means I'll need to learn how to knit. Well, bugger. Fortunately, I searched a bit and what I found says that 40 stitches is a reasonable width and this is 32 pixels high, leaving room for a boarder or something. I'll need more education and to refine the pattern a bit before I embark on this project (not to mention completing current projects. Now I just need to find yarn in a nice TARDIS blue...

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Doctor Who WIP (pinball images)

Post by Firehawke »

What a fun idea...good luck and keep us posted!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

rhaben
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by rhaben »

I got to play this machine a few years ago. My daughter squealed when she spotted it in the arcade. I look forward to what you come up with. Post pictures please.

the_antithesis
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by the_antithesis »

So, minor update on this project. I managed to finish all the faces and added the Doctor Who logo. So everything except for the faces of Doctor's 8-13 are taken from the pinball game.

So, now I have to learn how to knit to actually do this. Not only that, but also find a viable means of separating the strands of yarn so it's two strands instead of four because that's much too thick.

I have tried using one of those quick loom things and while it worked, it was more like an impractically slim horse blanket than a scarf.

Anyone who might have pointers on what to do and how to make this project would be appreciated.

On a side note, there is a color version of the pinball display and I've been making screencaps using the colors they've used. So if I make the faces full color, I could then put them on the vortex like so. As if the project wasn't needlessly difficult in the first place.

blackberrybear
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by blackberrybear »

Rather then trying to separate the yarn strands, look for a thinner yarn, like sock yarn (fingering weight)

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

That's what I was going to suggest!

Good luck!!!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson