Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Peacock Mosaic

non video game related projects...
QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Peacock Mosaic

Post by QueenBex »

So my therapist referred me to the Artlift programme, which is basically just using art as a therapy. I managed to get a space after someone dropped out, so I went to my first session last night.
This group is doing mosaics and as I have missed a few sessions, there are some really beautiful mosaics in progress. An all female group there was 7 of us including the instructor.

The instructor took me through it quickly and I picked out a picture of a peacock from one off her books. I wasn't confident at all so she drew it out for me. She then recommended I concentrate on the details first using acrylic and glass gems and things, then to move on to the actual mosaic bit using tiles. The tile cutter looked scary, but it was ok, she showed me it wasn't sharp, just hard and by the end of the session i was using it fine. I was cutting down tiles to do the beak which was fiddly and just taking off small bits is called nibbling, I like nibbling!

Anyway this is what I managed to do by the end of the session last night;
Peacock 2-2-15.jpg
Peacock 2-2-15.jpg (17.41 KiB) Viewed 4865 times
The instructor drew it out for me, but I did the rest! :D
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Peacock Mosaic

Post by Eliste »

That's pretty cool. I did art therapy as a kid and really loved it.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

I felt a bit strange going into a group that was already underway and established. Got the feeling that maybe those bonds are already sorted and I'll be the odd one in the corner or the constant reminder of the one who dropped out because of illness. But they were lovely people and made me feel welcome, so it was all good.

Bit of a blip when I showed up to a seemingly empty building, the woman who emailed me, not the instructor, had told me it started at 5:30, when it actually started at 6 :banghead: but they all came a bit early anyway as they were keen, so I didn't have long to wait. The actual instructor had called me that morning to make sure I was coming and knew where it was, but didn't mention a time.

I can't wait to continue next Monday! I think I've found something else to get into! I would love to do more, and would love to do some gaming themed ones too.
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

It sounds like a good group, which is great. Nothing worse than a bunch of people you don't want to see when you have to go to it. I've always found entering groups like that daunting, but generally they seem to be ok. A lot better than entering say, a quilting guild for the first time (ugh, it was awful).

I'm sure you could make some dead cool sprites with it too!

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

It seems the same for anything with the word "guild" in the name, some kind of superiority complex...

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

I thought it was just any time a gaggle of women got together, but yeah, guilds do seem to always have pecking orders and politics that I want none of.

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

Looks great, dear!

On the public TV channel, one of the programs I use to watch was a woman showing you how to do stained glass, and it was just fascinating. This reminded me a lot of that.

There are so many things I want to get involved with and try out, I don't think I'll have time to do them all. :nod
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign