Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Who Scarves!

non video game related projects...
Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Who Scarves!

Post by Kareesh »

Very nice on the scarf, rhaben! I can't wait to start on mine. I know it's going to take me forever, but I'll be soooo happy when it's done. I was actually talking to one of my friends in the theater before the showing of the 50th, and I mentioned something about knitting my own 4th scarf (brought up due to the number of scarves around us) and she said "You should knit me one, too!" So...Who knows? (heh....) I might have to make more than just one. lol
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

rhaben
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by rhaben »

I think you will be surprised at how quickly it goes. I'm not much of a knitter, and as such, I figure I'm pretty slow at it. I finished that first one in a little more than a week. I would've finished sooner, but my daughter (who I made it for) came home from college and I had to limit my time on it to about an hour in the morning for 3 days.

arkani
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by arkani »

I've started a new who scarf.. but not Bakers.
IMG_6310.JPG
IMG_6310.JPG (192.55 KiB) Viewed 5751 times
It's meant to be done in ribbing.. but yeah, no. I tried, I really did.. but with over 400 CO stitches, and then screwing it up? yeah, no. Sticking to garter. And it's looking good. I'm finishing my 4th ridge or the first lot of red at the moment, using 8ply 100% wool, because sales. It's meant to be like 6 feet long when it's done, i'm not sure if mine will get there, but i'm doing it on 40" circulars, and it's pretty packed.. I guess i'll see after it's been blocked etc.
IMG_6341.JPG
IMG_6341.JPG (228.27 KiB) Viewed 5751 times
Working on:
Retro X & Y! - lost the pattern and fabric, but it's resurfaced :D ...and i've lost it again lol
Attempting Diamond Painting
Making like three crochet blankets at once #nolife
slowly amassing floss for the old-style Epic Pokemon

rhaben
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by rhaben »

Whoa, that is going to be beautiful. I was wondering what you would need to use for something like that.

BTW, I finished the second scarf. I'd post pictures, but I've already wrapped it. Maybe after I give them to the kids, I'll pictures of them in the scarves.

arkani
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by arkani »

rhaben wrote:Whoa, that is going to be beautiful. I was wondering what you would need to use for something like that.

BTW, I finished the second scarf. I'd post pictures, but I've already wrapped it. Maybe after I give them to the kids, I'll pictures of them in the scarves.

I'm sure your son will love the scarf!

Thanks, rhaben! :D it's already so dense, and being all wool, it'll be super warm in winter. I'm in a cosplay group over on FB, and they think laceweight with a 1x1 rib is how that was knitted.. yeah i'm not going that small lol. At least not yet.

edit: adding this excel doc, in case anyone wants to try this scarf - it's the colours all in blocks, so you can cross them off as you do each ridge. easy peasy. :D
aaisat.xlsx
(11.98 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Working on:
Retro X & Y! - lost the pattern and fabric, but it's resurfaced :D ...and i've lost it again lol
Attempting Diamond Painting
Making like three crochet blankets at once #nolife
slowly amassing floss for the old-style Epic Pokemon

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

Waiting until I finish my practice scarf before I start the Doctor's scarf, but I have a question. Are you guys doing knit and then purl? Or just straight knit? I'm terribly new to knitting and all I know how to do is a knit (garter?) stitch and purl. Yet, for some reason, my scarf is curling up on itself and I dunno if it's because of the stitches or what. :confused:

June List
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Knittenkitten »

In knitting if you are doing one row knit and the next row purl, it will curl up on the sides. To get rid of this, when you are done knitting it block the piece. Blocking a piece is where you will wet your piece (gently wring out excess water) and pin it on a flat board of some sort to the measurements that you want for the piece. Other people who do just straight knit or purl every row might not have that problem.
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet

rhaben
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by rhaben »

Kareesh wrote:Waiting until I finish my practice scarf before I start the Doctor's scarf, but I have a question. Are you guys doing knit and then purl? Or just straight knit? I'm terribly new to knitting and all I know how to do is a knit (garter?) stitch and purl. Yet, for some reason, my scarf is curling up on itself and I dunno if it's because of the stitches or what. :confused:
The fourth Doctor's scarf is all knit (every row). I used acrylic yarn and it laid so perfectly flat, I was thrilled.

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

rhaben wrote:
Kareesh wrote:Waiting until I finish my practice scarf before I start the Doctor's scarf, but I have a question. Are you guys doing knit and then purl? Or just straight knit? I'm terribly new to knitting and all I know how to do is a knit (garter?) stitch and purl. Yet, for some reason, my scarf is curling up on itself and I dunno if it's because of the stitches or what. :confused:
The fourth Doctor's scarf is all knit (every row). I used acrylic yarn and it laid so perfectly flat, I was thrilled.
Thanks for the info. I also was wondering, I'm using the directions found here. The part I'm having a hard time understanding is "Numbers indicate number of ridges in garter stitch. To obtain row count, multiply numbers by 2"

I've never used a pattern, so all this knitting speech is confusing. When she says "row count", that's every time I go from one side to the other, right? And ridges are how many ridges you can see on the front, right? So, for the first one, it says 3, so I would go knit a total of 6 rows, 3 going one way and 3 going back, right? Or am I completely off base?

June List
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL

rhaben
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by rhaben »

That is exactly right. Each time you go from one side to the other is one row. So for where she says 3, go back and forth 6 times.

It takes two passes to make a ridge. You count the ridges on the front side of the scarf. BTW, that is the pattern I used for the first scarf I made. I'm getting ready to make one now for myself :)