Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Cthulhu micro xstitch

non video game related projects...
Siva
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Cthulhu micro xstitch

Post by Siva »

Here is the micro embroidery I just started on and was talking about in the techniques form. It is my test piece to see if I like it enough to do a complex pattern and so far I LOVE IT. This is done on 48 count fabric and will be about 2.5" by 2" inches once complete, if it were done on 16 count it would be closer to 6" by 5". The main thing I like about it so far is that it is much quicker that cross stitch. Since the count is so small 1 thread is used and only half stitches are needed, and the holes are just large enough to see without a magnifying glass. I can also take it anywhere without a big fuss, I just found a cute little wallet and converted into a microstitch carrier.

I put it next to the only thing I could quickly find to give it scale.
Spoiler
thulu.png
thulu.png (1.36 MiB) Viewed 3591 times
And here is my little project carrier. I always have scissors, black thread (and 1 or 2 other colors I am using at the moment), a ruler and 2-3 types of needles. I use the little zipper pouch for waste threads and hide my skeins in the pouches that are supposed to hold money.
Spoiler
wallet.jpg
wallet.jpg (127.18 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
Last edited by Siva on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

no_need
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Re: Cthulhu micro xstitch

Post by no_need »

This looks great!

You'd never guess they were half-stitches - the coverage is very good. I like nice full pixels with no base fabric showing, so I'm always worried about half-stitches, but at this scale they look like they work just as well as crosses.
Current projects: 'Heroes' sketch, experiments with surface embroidery.

"We have to build the republic of heaven where we are, because for us there is no elsewhere."
--Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Awesome! I love it!

The Cthulhu AND the wallet! What a great idea!

Servotron
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by Servotron »

This is really interesting! I've often thought about doing a project with a high thread count, to keep as much detail as possible while keeping the final size down.
Image Image Image Image

Siva
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Siva »

I definitely recommend trying it out! It can be pretty difficult to find the fabric and it does tend to be a bit pricier, but you don't need large quantities so I think the price ends up balancing a bit. I found Bobbie Schoonmakers store which is a fantastic resource, it has supplies, tips and FAQs as wells a patterns for doll house items. I also bought 58 and 75 count fabric, but after working with the 48 idk if I want to go much smaller. The only other thing to watch out for is needles, I have to use seed bead needles (#10) and I still think I need to go a bit smaller. Also the fabric is courser than aida which can start to break the thread from the friction, but a relatively short strand actually goes a long way!

Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://micro-stitchery.com/a_silk_gauze_1.html

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

A) THAT IS SOOOO CUTE!
B) Brilliant stitching travel case! Well repurposed! :D
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

Thats looking fantastic, and I love the idea of repurposing a wallet for a stitching kit :)
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

You have totally piqued my interested in doing something little and cute like that. Once I get through some of my UFO projects, I'll have to look deeper into this.

It would sure be nice to be able to carry everything in a small wallet. :)
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

monkeypeaches
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by monkeypeaches »

So cuuuute!! I love that it is "dollhouse" sized! I basically want to take up this craft just so I have an excuse to buy myself a fun wallet to carry it in. What a great idea!
My blog is a mishmash of my crafty/nerdy lollygagging
http://whimsydaisical.blogspot.com/

Anime I'm stitching along to: Sailor Moon R or Bleach

Image Image Image