Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Cross stitching a photo! [UPDATE 11th AUG]

non video game related projects...
littlejess
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Cross stitching a photo! [UPDATE 11th AUG]

Post by littlejess »

Hiya guys! I joined this site not so long ago and have been reading through everyone's amazing posts! I plan to post this as I feel it will be a long journey for me and I'd love to have people to share it with!

So I've converted a sepia photo of my mothers wedding from last year, to stitch into a large piece to be framed for her and my stepdad! Their wedding was vintage themed and they love anything a little different, so I thought a cross stitched momento would be perfect :D

This is the design (I have 6 pages of charts too but this will give you a good idea of the end result!)

Here is around 2/3 weeks work! It's been REALLY slow, but I've since learned the parking method, which has sped things up massively, considering all the colour changes!

Its coming together a little now and I'm loving every minute of it. I'm going to do as much of the "boring" background first before starting on my ma and stepdad as that will be the funnest part!
Oh, here's the first page I'm doing, just to give you an idea of the colour changes I'm having to deal with right now :grin:

Thanks so much for reading, and I hope this will gather a little interest as I work through it, I don't know a single person in my town or family who have an interest in the process of cross stitching, so all my enthusiasm I am keeping to myself!

Ill try and post every week, maybe on a sunday? to keep me motivated and to give you guys something to see! (Did I mention I was hoping to get this done by December 12th for their first wedding anniversay?! ha!) I'm sorry this isn't remotely gaming or movie related, and it may be of no interest to some people, but thanks for looking anyways!
Last edited by littlejess on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My crossstitch/knitting/tattooing blog! http://littlejessknits.blogspot.co.uk/

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Cross stitching a photo - my third ever project!

Post by Eliste »

That is an absolutely great idea, and the shot is lovely too. Good choice- on the pic, the sepia, and idea!

littlejess
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by littlejess »

Eliste wrote:That is an absolutely great idea, and the shot is lovely too. Good choice- on the pic, the sepia, and idea!
Thankyou! I was amazed when I bought the threads, there are lots of greens and purples that I didn't expect but I'm glad are there as I think lots of browns could have been very monotonous! I look forward to showing my progress as I go!
My crossstitch/knitting/tattooing blog! http://littlejessknits.blogspot.co.uk/

Elle
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Elle »

I love this! I think it's a really thoughtful present, and I'm looking forward to seeing it come together =)

no_need
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by no_need »

What a lovely idea! I'm sure they'll love it.
littlejess wrote:...there are lots of greens and purples that I didn't expect...
I thought the same thing when I started one of my projects - it's based on a sketch done in grayscale and when I charted it there were lots of pale greens and the like in there. But I went with it and they actually look pretty effective :nod

I look forward to keeping an eye on your progress!
Current projects: 'Heroes' sketch, experiments with surface embroidery.

"We have to build the republic of heaven where we are, because for us there is no elsewhere."
--Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass

deborah
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by deborah »

It is looking great so far. It will be a special gift for them. I did something similar to that for a woman in Holland named Annie. She sent me four pictures of her late husband Peter. I did one of them for her. She loved it.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Fantastic idea! I'm sure they will love it! Keep us updated! :D
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

rhaben
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by rhaben »

The part you have stitched looks great.

I did a similar thing for my mom a few years ago. It was a photo of her and her sister when my mom was about 3 years old. It was in black and white, and just like you said, the floss colors were surprising. Mine had a lot of greens in it. I took 2 years stitching that thing, but she LOVES it.

It's going to be fun seeing your progress.

scarlet
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by scarlet »

This is fabulous! I love it! Will be following along with your progress for sure, I've always been curious how a photo will come out in cross stitch. How did you get the pattern made?

scarlet
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by scarlet »

Ope! Never mind, I see you used pic2pat.com.