Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Lattes and Llamas Geek-a-Long

Video game craft projects made with MISC supplies...
Clarington
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Lattes and Llamas Geek-a-Long

Post by Clarington »

I recently stumbled across the Lattes and Llamas Geek-a-Long. Since I haven't seen it mentioned here I thought I'd mention it in case anyone is interested. Each year the ladies at Lattes and Llamas plan a year long craft-a-long based on a geeky theme. This year's theme is video games. They release a new square for knitting or crocheting each week (some people cross stitch or quilt them instead). The goal is to create at least 24 squares in the year and stitch them together into a crazy awesome afghan. The patterns are free, they simply ask that you consider making a contribution to Child's Play if you are able.

Here are the squares I've made so far to give you an idea. They are double knit, so they are completely reversible!
katamari.jpg
katamari.jpg (149.99 KiB) Viewed 18299 times
kirby.jpg
kirby.jpg (130.92 KiB) Viewed 18299 times
Sonic.jpg
Sonic.jpg (139.53 KiB) Viewed 18299 times
It's been really fun, so I hope some other Sprite Stitchers join up :)
You can get the patterns (including for previous years' afghans) on the Llama's blog. Or there is a Ravelry group as well.
I'm gettin' bloggy: http://craftscapades.com/

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Re: Lattes and Llamas Geek-a-Long

Post by lcockitt »

Wow, your squares look great! I stumbled across this back in 2014, and made 12 of the squares to make into a small blanket. The 12 squares were finished early 2015.... I bought the edging wool last month. I really need to get this finished! I wasn't going to add any more squares, but I do love the ones they've released so far this year... and I may have to get some of them knitted up! Looking forward to seeing the other squares that you pick.
Currently attempting: Epic Pokemon Cross Stitch Gen I, M'aiq the Liar
Knitting - Fusion in Paris

Don't judge me - blogging about allsorts https://dontjudgemebut.wordpress.com/

blackberrybear
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by blackberrybear »

I find it interesting that you brought this up as I am working on it as well. Here's what I've got done
Spoiler
together.jpg
together.jpg (265.1 KiB) Viewed 18249 times

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Wow...what a fun project! All of the squares look great!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

LucyInTheSky
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by LucyInTheSky »

Thanks for sharing. I haven't heard of them and will check it out.

Your squares look amazing!
Check out my blog: GorramQuilts.com

AuntTink
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by AuntTink »

I love this! Your squares have turned out awesome so far. Now off to buy the yarn, this would be an awesome baby blanket idea for my little guy!

Clarington
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Clarington »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the encouragement. Since I'm brand new to double knitting, these squares are taking forever. Hopefully I'll start getting a little faster at them at some point!

It's nice to see some other SpriteStitchers taking an interest in this and I'm hoping to see some more square pics! Blackberrybear, I love yours. The yarn makes them look very unique.

lcockitt, 12 squares for a lap blanket is seeming like a really good idea. I'm pushing for the 24, but with how long they are each taking at this point it may be a bit of a reach. I hope you get your edging done and share some photos!

Here's my latest square. Now I'm mostly waiting for the new colours of yarn I ordered to arrive, or for new squares to get released that I want to make that use the colours I already have.
tetris.jpg
tetris.jpg (215.79 KiB) Viewed 18196 times
I'm gettin' bloggy: http://craftscapades.com/

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

I had to grab a bunch of patterns! I haven't done any double knitting in YEARS, so it took me a bit to get back into the groove :P I don't have any pics, but I am about 15 rows into the Gryffindor Lion and I am thinking of doing the brand new Minecraft square as a gift.

Thanks for letting us know about this site!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by lcockitt »

I finally had the courage to attempt joining and edging the 12 2014 squares... And am pretty happy with how it turned out! (yes, I know that the LotR and Firefly squares are the wrong way round to each other - done on purpose so that there isn't a true "right" side or "wrong"side).
Spoiler
GAL blanket sideA.jpg
GAL blanket sideA.jpg (400.4 KiB) Viewed 18091 times
Spoiler
GAL blanket sideb.jpg
GAL blanket sideb.jpg (374.28 KiB) Viewed 18091 times
Now all I have to do is try not to cast on any of this years squares... which look really cool and I really want to do! Must finish up a couple of other projects first. Really looking forward to seeing everyone else's squares and finished blankets! :D
Currently attempting: Epic Pokemon Cross Stitch Gen I, M'aiq the Liar
Knitting - Fusion in Paris

Don't judge me - blogging about allsorts https://dontjudgemebut.wordpress.com/

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

This looks great!!! :clapping:

I should post some pics....(runs off to grab links)

(runs back in)

Here's the Minecraft block that I fnished. It's going to be a gift
Spoiler

And here's my WIP of the Gryffindor block...I'm planning on doing a book themed blanket
Spoiler
It's going to be a bit before I work on it some more, between other crafts and a carpal tunnel flare up that's keeping me from doing any crafting for a few days :banghead:

Can't wait to see what others are working on!