Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Nintendo Themed Quilt Pattern BOM

Video game craft projects made with MISC supplies...
cashew
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Re: Nintendo Themed Quilt Pattern BOM

Post by cashew »

I have a machine just like that! Cost the same too. It's also a Brother. I got it when my favorite machine died over Christmas a few years ago. This one became one of my favorites. It's a real workhorse.

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

Just make sure you don't sew any thick material like Denim or actually "quilt" (sew the 3 layers together on a quilt). If you do, especially a few times you could burn the engine out on it. It isn't meant for super heavy duty stuff, but it is an awesome machine for basic sewing!

BMH, how much would it be to ship to you? Would it be cheaper to buy from the US amazon and mail there?

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

tnitnetny wrote:BMH, how much would it be to ship to you? Would it be cheaper to buy from the US amazon and mail there?
Sadly it doesn't ship to the UK. Some of the other options may do, I will have to check though.

EDIT: I'm also wondering about the voltage thing - I know in the US they use 120V where we use 240V. Not everything can be used with a step-down transformer, so that's something else to check !
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

Ok, I need everyone's help. I am typing up Month 1 - Shopping instructions now for Nicole to turn into a finished product. This is what I have:

Picture of the quilt here with numbers 1-12 of the corresponding blocks (Kirby is 1 and mover left to right going down each row)

Fabric Color Yardage Used in Blocks
White 1 ¼ yards 2,6,7,9,10,11
Black 1 ½ yards 1,2,5,6,7,9,11
Christmas Red 1 ¼ yards 3,5,6,7,12
Coral ½ yard 6,11
Magenta ½ yard 11
Dirt Brown ¾ yard 11,12
Lime Green ¾ yard 8,12
Peach ¼ yard 8
Orange ½ yard 8
Light Orange/Yellow ¾ yard 7
Sand 1 yard 3,4,8,9,12
Grape Purple ¾ yard 3,4
Holly Berry Red ½ yard 4,10
Leaf Green 1 ¼ yards 2,3,4,6
Golden Yellow ½ yard 5
Blue ¾ yard 1,3,9,10,12
Steel Gray ½ yard 3
Light Pink ½ yard 1
Pewter Gray ½ yard 2
Pink ½ yard 1,3
Sky Blue 1 yard 3,5,9,10
Aqua ½ yard 9

When shopping for fabric please keep the blocks in mind that the fabric will be used for. For example, block 9 is the MegaMan 1up. The blue and light blue you choose should look good as a Megaman 1up.

Do you like the layout of the list? Is it easy to understand? Does the part about keeping the blocks in mind make sense? Also, what should we call this quilt? We are thinking of NES Sampler Quilt for now.

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

I like your suggestion in terms of keeping the blocks in mind, but I wonder if it would be easier to do so if you had the blocks listed by each colour that uses it?

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

That is a great idea Eliste. My formatting messed up the "list". I will play around with it today and see if I can show it in a format that will display nicely on here with your suggestion included.

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

Ok, played around with it. The best way to show you the formatting and what exactly I will give to Nicole is to just link the file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tl3xhgxb241yk ... .docx?dl=0

How is that? Is it easy to read and understand? Do the color names we chose make sense?

katdun
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by katdun »

That looks easy enough to understand! I like how you have the two pages - if you brought both pages to the store, you should have no problem picking colors.

Is this a project that I could jump in after it starts and catch up? I would love to do this, but December is busy. Not to mention I'd have to make a long drive to get to a fabric store or try to pick colors online...
Current Projects:
Pen Pals!
Sprite Stitch Swap!
Learning to crochet!

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

Definitely Katdun! I am going to set it up as a BOM, Block of the month. So November I release this, the shopping list. December I release the Kirby, January the Metal Slime, etc. You can catch up at anytime, make more than one of a square, don't make others, etc. I am going to set it up as a design your own based off these blocks or follow along and do how I have set up!

Thanks for the feedback. I will ask Nicole to keep it as the 2 page format when she designs the official one.

katdun
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by katdun »

Awesome!

Maybe I missed it, but are the finished sizes listed somewhere for those fabric requirements? How big will each square be? Then will you add how much sashing, batting, and backing we'll need or will that come at the very end?
Current Projects:
Pen Pals!
Sprite Stitch Swap!
Learning to crochet!