Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Lomax-themed Dice Bag

Video game craft projects made with MISC supplies...
LPSM
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Lomax-themed Dice Bag

Post by LPSM »

I have rather a lot of dice, but I've found that most dice bags, whether commercial or custom-made, seem to be designed with the assumption that all dice in a collection will be of particular standard sizes. My own dice collection is nowhere near that uniform, and it also has some sets of dice that I don't wish to separate from the packaging that they were supplied with, or that I gave them for organisational purposes.

This is my dice collection as it stands right now. I use them mainly as writing tools - it's great fun to pick out some dice in order to generate parameters for impromptu writing exercises, as you never know what they'll come out with.

The size of this collection prompted me to finally make my own dice bag, but I didn't want to just make a plain one. A character-themed dice bag seemed like a fun idea, so I decided to model the bag after the outfit worn by Lomax, in the Lemmings series platform game of the same name. This is, of course, the same Lomax who I've previously made a plush version of.

This is a front view of the dice bag. It's made from purple and brown short-pile plush (sold as Minky in the US, but "Cuddle" in the UK due to another company in a fabric-related field already owning the relevant trademark in this territory), to represent the main and collar colours from Lomax's tunic, and it has belt and belt buckle details made from brown and grey felt. The bag is about seven or so inches tall, with a five inch square for the base.

For the lining, I used a custom-printed Lomax fabric! I originally planned to pick up a chainmail design, but I changed my mind at the last minute and came up with this instead, using a few Lomax sprites and the shade of blue used for the sky in the game's first level.

Here's a better look at the Lomax fabric. It's nice and bright, so it's easy to pick out the dice that I'm looking for.

The drawstring is made from red herringbone ribbon, and is kept closed by a purple spring-toggle. I placed it at the back of the bag, and the idea behind that was that the drawstring is supposed to vaguely represent Lomax's cape, and the spring-toggle is meant to vaguely represent his helmet.

Finally, here's a photo of the bag holding all of my dice, as seen in the first picture.

I'm extremely happy with how this came out. :thumbsup:

TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Re: Lomax-themed Dice Bag

Post by TigerLily »

That is an adorable way to store dice.

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Hey, I have that trap die, too! :) I gotta know what that green mesh die to the right of the pizza dice is, though.

(The bag is super adorable, of course, but there are dice to talk about here. :P)
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

LPSM
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by LPSM »

Haha, thanks very much, guys. :D
RMDC wrote:Hey, I have that trap die, too! :)
I got that one from Noble Knight Games (they were sold in pairs, so I put one into a bag of spare dice that I've been establishing), along with a Dice Ring, as Noble Knight's shipping to the UK was a lot cheaper than either of the manufacturers of those dice offer directly. It's always fun to try to incorporate that one into stories!
I gotta know what that green mesh die to the right of the pizza dice is, though.
That's one of my favourites. :D It's a 3D-printed 26-sided letter die, with the least-used letters in the English language placed on the smaller faces. I got it from this Shapeways listing. I ordered it in the Green Strong & Flexible Polished plastic (meaning that it's quite light, but good and sturdy), but the designer of it makes it available in several different colours and materials.

I'm waiting on one of these Movie Genre Dice in Purple Strong & Flexible, at the moment, too.

Yay, dice! :thumbsup:

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Oh, I see now! That's awesome. :)
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.