Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

3D printing

Video game craft projects made with MISC supplies...
kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: 3D printing

Post by kuja.girl »

I'm trying to get a maker-space on my campus (with a 3d printer!)... we have some convincing to do. I'm jealous you get to play with one. I missed my oppertunity to do so (we had a fab-lab at my grad school).
There are a few on Kickstarter for under $400 that have tempted me but I have resisted so far. Printing should be pennies per square inch of printed material from what I've seen so far.
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |

icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by icedragonj »

Thought I would give you all an update on my 3D adventures. Today I went back and printed a few pokemon badges. The top six are ones I am happy with, and the bottom ones show what happens when you don't have the settings quite right. The took 5-10 min each to print.
2014-06-26 17.13.00.jpg
2014-06-26 17.13.00.jpg (475.74 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
blackmageheart wrote: And for the curious, how much does it cost to print these things?
Those badges together weigh less than 10 grams and cost 30c to print (at the space's current rates).

I also went to a bussniessy info session thing on 3D printing the other night and saw these earings as some of the display prints. They are printed with a ceramic type material that can absorb ink. So one layer of white ceramic material is printed, then a layer of ink is printed over the top before going to the next layer. In this way you can get true full colour 3D prints. The printers are probably a lot more expensive though :mush
2014-06-24 20.05.02.jpg
2014-06-24 20.05.02.jpg (275.96 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
I appologise for the terrible photo quality...
I am known across campus as "The girl who knits in lectures"

SheWhoRoars
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by SheWhoRoars »

:shock: Those. Are. Amaaaaaziiiing.

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

I have to admit this post got me excited about 3D printing, so I gave it a go, and now I can't stop. :P
blackmageheart wrote:And for the curious, how much does it cost to print these things?
It's SUPER cheap I you have access to a local printer, but us UKers that's unlikely. You can get stuff printed though Shapeways quick cheap though. About £5 for a pendant/keyring.

icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by icedragonj »

Lord Libidan wrote:I have to admit this post got me excited about 3D printing, so I gave it a go, and now I can't stop. :P
Yay! :yahoo: you will have to show us what you make :grin:
I am known across campus as "The girl who knits in lectures"

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

icedragonj wrote:Yay! :yahoo: you will have to show us what you make :grin:
I've just put a big order in for a whole variety if stuff, but as soon as I get them, I'll put them up.

We should totally have a spritestitch 3d printer.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Lord Libidan wrote:
icedragonj wrote:Yay! :yahoo: you will have to show us what you make :grin:
I've just put a big order in for a whole variety if stuff, but as soon as I get them, I'll put them up.

We should totally have a spritestitch 3d printer.
Now theres an exciting idea! Bet they're expensive though, and if we did we'd have to get a good one to cope with demand etc ;)
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Lord Libidan wrote: It's SUPER cheap I you have access to a local printer, but us UKers that's unlikely.
Really? I'm surprised by that. They're cropping up all over the place in Ireland. I can think of 5 off the top of my head in Dublin and I'm sure there's more in the burbs that I have no reason to know about.

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

Eliste wrote:
Lord Libidan wrote:Really? I'm surprised by that. They're cropping up all over the place in Ireland. I can think of 5 off the top of my head in Dublin and I'm sure there's more in the burbs that I have no reason to know about.
Tell me about it, it's a right pain. There are a few in major cities, but I live in a town and don't want to do the 2 hour journey for a printer...
Although, after googling it, my local uni should be getting one soon...

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Lord Libidan wrote: Tell me about it, it's a right pain. There are a few in major cities, but I live in a town and don't want to do the 2 hour journey for a printer...
Although, after googling it, my local uni should be getting one soon...
Hmm, yeah I suppose in the smaller areas it might be less likely. I do know at least one of the Dublin shops will post orders out to you. Do none of the ones in your near big city do that? Fingers crossed for the uni, I guess.